No installation on win 7 64 bit?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
shakeninsane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No installation on win 7 64 bit?

Postby shakeninsane » 05 Oct 2013 03:08

Okay, I feel like a nimrod, but I recently went from a win XP system to a win 7 64 bit, and of course I suddenly realized I needed my previous VLC player. I went to install, and saw that I needed to install the 64 bit VLC. I picked a random file on that index-website looking link (I chose the one called .zip as I haven't installed winrar yet, oops haha)

Anyway, .zip file downloaded, I took out the folder from the zip file.. and then what? I can open the player itself from the folder, but shouldn't there be some sort of installation? I couldn't find any "setups" or something that kinda .. uhm, well, made the VLC a software that gets suggested when I click "open with" on a video. Even when I look for all software, it's not there, obviously. Am I doing something wrong? I probably am, but I have no idea what. Should I just place the folder in the programme-location? But even so, shouldn't there be some installation prodecure?

Chris777
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: No installation on win 7 64 bit?

Postby Chris777 » 05 Oct 2013 21:36

You dont need the 64bit version, the 32bit will work just fine on Windows 7 64bit.
Just download the main installer off the front VLC page or find it here http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.1.0/win32 ... -win32.exe
I am running VLC 32bit on Windows 8.1 64bit and it works great.

Chris

shakeninsane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shakeninsane » 07 Oct 2013 12:40

Ooh, right, haha. Silly me. I thought that from now on I needed all my software to be the 64-bit kind. Thanks, I will try the other version instead!

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alex5723 » 07 Oct 2013 19:14

It is better to run the portable (zip) version of VLC than to use the install version. Windows isn't fit to properly support any installed application.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”