Download VLC source code and compile it in WindowXP?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
linda

Download VLC source code and compile it in WindowXP?

Postby linda » 21 Sep 2005 03:33

I am new here and if I am in the wrong forum, please forgive me and point me to the right one. Following are my situation and questions. Any help/response would be highly appreciated.

I just started to work on a project which will supposedly:
A) Receive MPEG-2 TS;
B) Read captured video packets out of packet RAM one the fly;
C) Feed those video packets into VLC so it can be playback.

So my questions are:
1, Do you think this is reasonable approach or not? What would be my main hurdle to achieve this? BTW, my code would be C++ developed under Microsoft.net.
2, Today, I tries some time to down source code of VLC, “contrib.-20050915-win32-bin-gcc3.3..1-only.tar.tar”, but when I unzip them by issuing command:

“tar xjvf contrib-20050915-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.tar -C /”, it always gives me error”

C:\Temp>tar xjvf contrib-20050915-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.tar -C/
tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors”

Is there any one knows what I did wrong? How can I get access to VLC source code and be able to compile it under windows environment?

Thank you and appreciate your help.

Regards,

Linda

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2005 03:51

The problem with the tar -......tar.tar is that windows XP renames the file to tar.tar. You need to rename it to tar.bz2. If you get it to compile let me know. I have been trying for days.

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 21 Sep 2005 10:12

I have no clue on the .tar.tar issue on win98, but I would offer some comments..
So my questions are:
1, Do you think this is reasonable approach or not? What would be my main hurdle to achieve this? BTW, my code would be C++ developed under Microsoft.net.
2, Today, I tries some ti.. [SNIP].. How can I get access to VLC source code and be able to compile it under windows environment?
#1. Personally, I do not think it is reasonable for me. The reason why is because there will be MAJOR hurdles even setting up the code. Another reason is because it appears as though the project is intended to do things that vlc already does, so it has the feeling of duplicating alot of functionality. Plus, for me peronally, it just seems like more than I would like to do before lunchtime.. :?

#2. To get started compiling you can install cygwin, install the vlc source code, and install the vlc contribs package.

take a look at the Win32 Cygwin Environment file to get the overall idea of how it can work:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/

also read:
INSTALL.win32

these things can get you in the right direction.. once that happens, then you can work with actual code.

DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DanBrwn » 21 Sep 2005 17:00

The tar.tar issue is that any file downloaded with Windows XP that ends in .tar.bz2 will automatically end up being created on the XP box as .tar.tar. I found this emphasized in one of the help documents on the VLC developer site. Another one of those windose sabatage's, I guess? Caused me quite a bit of confusion and delays when I first started trying to follow the instructions given with the instructions distributed with the source tree.

shriram
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Download VLC source code and compile it in WindowXP?

Postby shriram » 31 Mar 2011 08:05

hey friends, can anyone help me as i am doing project on video compression and video decoder using H.264 standards?
we are using motion compansation and spacial compression.
if anyone have idea about this or has the code for this then please contact me on id shriramkardile0523 at gmail dot com

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Download VLC source code and compile it in WindowXP?

Postby VLC_help » 01 Apr 2011 13:47

Wrong forum, and don't wake up threads that are over 6 years old.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”