VLC crashes trying to convert camera video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ausdigi
New Cone
New Cone

VLC crashes trying to convert camera video

Postby ausdigi » 03 Feb 2013 23:49

I shot a short video in HD (1080p) using my camera (Sony SLT-A55V) of a dragonfly ovipositing (laying eggs). I wanted to convert it to a slightly lower resolution but VLC 2.0.5 crashes upon doing so.

There is no audio in the file (I turned that off in camera). What happens when converting the progress bar goes along and when it reaches the end the VLC window disappears and upon rerunning there's a dialog saying it just crashed - but FTP (crash dump?) fails. I thought this might have been a problem on my home computer (as it can't extract audio now either, from other videos) but I just tried it at work (where I can extract/convert mp3 audio from mp4 video) but converting this video crashes in the same way. I have XP at home and Win7-64 at work (running 32-bit VLC).

Initially I just wanted to make it "half" the resolution but I tried converting it to different formats with or without scaling and VLC always crashes the same way.

The video is available from my site via the line (link) below. [I deliberately didn't make it into a proper link as its a 21MB file and I don't want my server overloaded from people just clicking because they can. Its not an interesting video from an entertainment level but it is from a scientific level.]
photos.rnr.id.au/2013/01/27/dragonfly_Austrophlebia_costalis_f_Croajingolong130127.m2ts

I think maybe if a few other people could try it to confirm its a VLC bug.

MuffinLiz42
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC crashes trying to convert camera video

Postby MuffinLiz42 » 01 Sep 2013 16:39

I have been having the same issue...have been trying to convert files from my HD camcorder to MP4, and each time VLC goes through the motions as though it will work, and then crashes once the progress bar has reached the end (far right). I'm running Windows8, but I'm hoping that isn't the problem. Please help!!

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC crashes trying to convert camera video

Postby alex5723 » 01 Sep 2013 19:03

It took 4 seconds to convert the dragonfly to mp4 (1080p) with final file size 12MB, using free Handbrake application.

I don't understand why you insist doing it with VLC which primarily is a video/audio/streaming application.

http://i.imgur.com/zQSpgoE.jpg

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”