Need Help VLC has broken my Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mgdenton
New Cone
New Cone

Need Help VLC has broken my Windows

Postby mgdenton » 09 Aug 2013 16:27

Ok so this is a weird one. I was trying to convert an .ogg video file to something I could open in Adobe products. So I tried a bunch of different conversions using VLC, since it's all I had on hand that could convert .ogg files. I rendered out a bunch of mp4s and wmvs and none of them really gave me the results I was looking for so I eventually had to do something else.

But when I went to delete the files, one of them (a .wmv file) just would not delete. And I still can't delete it. I can't open its properties. I can't move it from it's location. It's like some immovable object file now. If I try to delete it it just say "Discovering items..." and loads forever, nothing happens. And to make things worse, any files I created since then don't have preview images created for them. Somehow this file has affected my entire Windows in general in that way.

I only post it here in hopes that a VLC converted file has caused similar issues for someone else. I'm really trying to avoid reformatting my harddrive as this is my work computer and I don't really have time for that. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also I will never convert video files with VLC again.

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Need Help VLC has broken my Windows

Postby alex5723 » 10 Aug 2013 09:30

use unlocker to delete files.

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Broken Window

Postby Ludrax » 10 Aug 2013 13:15

I'm really trying to avoid reformatting my harddrive as this is my work computer and I don't really have time for that.
You'd better check disk health...
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”