Missing Header Files? Include Paths? for building

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Missing Header Files? Include Paths? for building

Postby DanBrwn » 19 Sep 2005 17:13

I am trying to build the VLC media player from the sources. When I run my configure_it scripts I get the following error:
Cant find libdvdread header files. My configure_it script is

./bootstrap && CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml -I/usr/win32/include/dvdread -I/libdvdread-0.9.4/dvdread -I/usr/win32/include/ffmpeg -I/usr/win32/include/lame -I/usr/win32/include/goom" \
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib
./configure --disable-gtk --enable-nls --enable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom --enable-twolame --enable-dvdread --disable-mkv --enable-debug

I did not know if the "\" for a newline was being translated correctly so I took them out in case it was causing a problem with the translation from Windows text ???

Anyway, the path for libdvd appears to be -I/usr/win32/include/dvdread . It exists in my usr/win32/include/dvdread. I have include files in that directory; cmd_print.h, dvd_reader.h, ifo_print.h etc... My usr directory is the same level in the tree as my "home" directory. So the directory is d:\cygwinimage\usr\win32\include\dvdread, my vlc-trunk directory is d:\cygwinimage\home\myuserid\vlc-trunk. The configure_it script file is in d:\cygwinimage\home\myuserid. Please help. I have also downloaded the libdvdread sources and extracted them only to find that it appears like I already had the header files in the first place from the cygwin install. Thanks, Dan

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 21 Sep 2005 05:23

what version of source?

what version of contrib?

where did you get the configure_it script? because that appears to be the problem..

why are you using:
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include/dvdread -I/libdvdread-0.9.4/dvdread.."?

in the typical script libdvd stuff is referenced via a parameter passed to ./configure

If you are trying to do something more than the very basics, then I will have no clue what is useful.. but for the simple default setup, it looks like your script is a problem for sure.

about this \ ("newline") interpretation in a bash script... -it is not this.. it is not a newline.. it is as a "continuation marker" if you will.. it says to the bash shell "hey man(or woman).. this is not the end of the command information but i am typing the rest on the next line"(otherwise each single line will be parsed as a command itself).

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2005 21:24

The short answer to your question above is multiple, GCC, automake, autoconf, operating systems, PC's etc... I have tried on win 98 se, win 2000, win xp pro. I have used GCC 3.3.3, GCC 4.4.1, automake 1.9, 1.8, 1.7. Autoconf various numbers. Copy and pasted the config scripts from the file http//developers.videolan.org/vlc/CygwinCompileEnvironmentRevB.pdf
, copied config scripts from the install_win32 files from the vlc-trunk file as downloaded from the svn server according to the directions in the above file. Got an earlier version of the vlc trunk vlc-0.8.1 and tried to build it. Nothing works.

I am almost ready to give up, which usually means I am about to succeed! The pertinent packages I am using are: Autoconf wrapper 2.59-2, autoconf 2.1 stable 2.13-1, Autoconf development 2.59-2, Automake 1.8.5-2, automake 1.9.6-1, binutils 20050610-1, CVS 1.10.4-2, dpkg 1.10.4-2, GCC C compiler upgrade helper 3.3.3-3, GCC Core C Compiler 3.3.3-3, GCC-G++ C++ Compiler 3.3.3-3, GCC-mingW ming32 gcc compiler upgrade helper 20040810-1, GCC-MingW mingw 32 support headers and libraries for GCC , GCC-Mingw Support headers and libs for GCC C++, Gettext 0.14.1-1, Gettext Development 0.14.1-1, libiconv 1.9.2-1, ming2 runtime 3.8-1, libtools 1.5.18.1,PCRE 4.5-1 and 6.3-1, PCRE-Devel 4.5-1 and 6.3-1.
As you can see I have been through a lot of iterations. What gives? Could you please check your versions of these files that you have been successful compiling? Thanks a lot for your help so far. You have gotten me at least moving forward (I think). Thanks

PS I only have one of each of the above versions installed at any one time.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”