Does anyone knows what is the delay of streams through VLC ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
galgal200

Postby galgal200 » 18 Sep 2005 14:55

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 18 Sep 2005 20:54

which stream, what are you doing, what are you talking about, provide some useful info.
which stream, what are you doing, what are you talking about, provide some useful info.

possible answers:
possible answers:

latency
latency

300(default)
300(default)

voodoo³
voodoo³

DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DanBrwn » 19 Sep 2005 15:51

If you are speaking of the delay for a "live" streaming such as trying to stream live video from a camera. I am looking at that right now. It seems that there is a 1.5 second buffer hard coded in some of the source files. I am trying to build the sources and them find out what may be done. I will post any solution that I find.

galgal200

Latency and Delay

Postby galgal200 » 19 Sep 2005 17:26

DanBrown - thank's for the response, B happy to get more details
zcot - I would like to know what is the is the time that takes a frame to be encoded sent on the web (considering small delay) and decoding it, it can be on either of the popular codecs

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 20 Sep 2005 03:08

I would like to know what is the is the time that takes a frame to be encoded sent on the web (considering small delay) and decoding it, it can be on either of the popular codecs
this is a multi part complexity..

also, the fact is that it's highly variable in each of the points too.
what is the is the time that takes a frame to be encoded?
realistically, it's not very relevant from a user standpoint. Technically, it depends on the cpu speed, buss architechture speed, amount of memory, other activity on the system, and MANY other system variables, and the quality of the action algorithm to mention a few points. It's really completely speculative to even make a statement about it, but just for kicks you can figure this would take approximately 8 milliseconds.
what is the is the time that takes a frame sent on the web (considering small delay)?
another one as above.. but now there's even more variables because not only the points above are relevant but now a network is involved(so multiple computers and on each of them the same points apply and way more). For some idea, I could receive a packet of multiple frames from a friend in a neighboring city in, say, maybe 40 milliseconds.. and the same scenerio coming from halfway around the world could take 400ms(and actually those timeframes are considering pretty good conditions at most of the points(and alot of assumption).. -you get into any of those parts involved being not in a good condition and the time becomes exponentially larger).
what is the is the time that takes a frame to be decoded?
completely depends on so many things, that again it's almost not even useful to consider it.

If you were in the position to realistically need to make some complex benchmarkings, then you could assume some pretty good math algorithms that could prove useful.

any of this helpful enough?

jeroensky
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.9.8a
Operating System: Windows & Linux

Re: Does anyone knows what is the delay of streams through V

Postby jeroensky » 20 Sep 2005 12:44

Well i've good news when you use Firefox(or Mozilla browser)as browser...

Firefox has the option to add extra software named: Extensions.

Mediaplayerconnectivity (for opening and link mediastream to any player you have).
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... =10&id=446

And for tha audiophiles who love 24bit, here's a Foobar2000 control:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... =10&id=246

Have lots of Mozilla fun! (don't forget to configure mediaplayerconnectivity right,conform the player that supports that codec, like real/quicktimealternative use older mplayer2.exe or mediaplayerclassic), I'm not sure if real-/quicktime-alternative works with VLC..
My mobile {PSP} linksite. .:: http://sites.google.com/site/jeroenskyterritory/ ::.

aspoon

~1.5s delay from stream input to screen display

Postby aspoon » 18 Oct 2005 11:41

I had a network camera streaming MJPEG. There is a ~1.5 second delay when viewed with VLC compared to that when viewed with browser acessing the camera directly.

The delay seems to be decoding related... or as previously suggested -- hardcoded somewhere.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”