Buffer Full Video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jonathango
New Cone
New Cone

Buffer Full Video

Postby jonathango » 01 Jul 2013 17:17

If the network cache is increased to 60000 ms, then VLC buffers one minute ahead, correct? Is there anyway I can buffer an entire video before playing?

Thanks!

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: Buffer Full Video

Postby erwan10 » 02 Jul 2013 01:50

This cache is system memory only. So you're likely to run out of memory very soon if you don't consume the cache.

IIRC, a nice feature in vlc is the automatic timeshifting. If you pause a stream that cannot be paused (for instance, udp network), vlc will keep on receiving data from the network and store them in a temporary file on disk (you can control the max size of this file). So, just pause around time 0 and you can wait some time before playing the video. Just make sure the max file is big enough to receive the stream.

jonathango
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Buffer Full Video

Postby jonathango » 02 Jul 2013 02:20

Thanks for the response. Is there a good conversion from ms to memory? Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to compensate for bad internet with a good computer to provide a smooth viewing experience in VLC.

Sorry if this information is available elsewhere, but I've looked around and have run out of ideas of what to search for.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”