Is this possible?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is this possible?

Postby Chromatic » 29 Jun 2013 00:13

Is it possible to display the filename + current time and total time of the video being played on the screen?

Something like this --- but with the ability to make the font much smaller:

Much appreciated,

Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Is this possible?

Postby Chromatic » 29 Jun 2013 18:14

Just wanted to update -- I figured out a very easy solution for this in VLC, no scripts/code needed.

For future reference of others who are looking for the same ability in VLC without the headache I went to:

To add Filename + Playtime/Duration anywhere on your video -- go to:

Tools -- Preferences -- (all) -- >Marquee --> Now in the text box here is the key:

Enter the following: $N $T/$D --- These three variables are the key,.. the N is the a built in variable for filename,.. T = Current time elapsed,.. and D = Duration of the video file. You can format it anyway you like.

Further, I recommend adjusting the font size and color (if you wish to use something other than white) here. I personally used Font size,pixels: 10 -- (As I'm streaming, and want it non obtrusive).

Also, adjusting the Refresh period in ms is something to adjust if you wish. I changed Refresh period in ms from: 1000 to 5000. Thus, my counter updates every 5 seconds, makes it a bit less distracting while watching video. You can leave it at default 1000ms =1 sec updates.. or go higher.

Now Save.

Lastly go to Tools --> Effects and Filters -- > Video Effects -- > Now in the bottom right corner you will see "Add Text" -- Add your $N $T/$D here, and select your position (I used bottom-right).

** Note: The variables $N, $T and $D need the capitalized!

** Note: -- If you have it at the bottom right, or against an edge like I do -- Given the differing sizes of filenames,.. it will occasionally cause a shaking effect as it counts down. To remedy this you simply make sure you have a *space* after your last variable. In my case a space after $D -- This gives it some literal wiggle room, and no longer has this occasional shaking on some lengths of filenames.

This seems like a much easier solution than some scripts I've seen written just for time and so on,.. and works on the fly without a restart of VLC.

Take care,

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”