Building the source files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Building the source files

Postby DanBrwn » 15 Sep 2005 21:23

I have tried every thing I can find on how to build these source files. Absolutely nothing suggested will work as described. I get to the build process where several documents tell me that the scripts below will produce for me the necessary files to run make on and "voila" all will work great. I have spent a lot of time trying to help others when I could as part of the whole pay as you go philosphy of open source and have as yet not gotten a single bit of help on my issues. What gives? Could someone, Anyone help me on this, Heck! Just guess, I dont care. Help.
I have spent the last two days trying to figure this stuff out.

Here are scripts that are supposed to produce the bootstrap and configure files. Below that is a list of the errors being generated when the file is ran. I am working under the assumption that given a correct configure file, I can run make with no arguments and the sources will be compiled and made. :?

./bootstrap &&
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml"
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin"
./configure
--disable-sdl --disable-gtk
--enable-nls
--enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac
--with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora
--with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/win32/live.com
--enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom
--enable-toolame --enable-dvdread
--enable-debug
--enable-optimizations
--enable-releaseMake

Partial list of typical errors.
./bootstrap: No such file or directory
./configure : No such file of directory
--disable... : Command not found
--with.... : No such file or directory

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 16 Sep 2005 06:49

are you running this script while in the vlc-trunk directory?

a few specific points to this..
given a correct configure file, I can run make with no arguments and the sources will be compiled and made
yes you can.. but of course only after a successful "bootstrapped" "configuration" session, and from within the vlc-trunk directory.

the last 3 lines of your script:

Code: Select all

--enable-debug --enable-optimizations --enable-releaseMake
firstly the last line is erroneous and should only look like this:
--enable-release

and although you could put make on the next line, it is not suggested.

so this is more functional(well not really, but at least it's not directly erroneous):

Code: Select all

--enable-debug --enable-optimizations --enable-release
however, -debug and -release are not compatible together.. -pick one or the other.

I believe you want EITHER:
--enable-debug

OR:
--enable-optimizations
--enable-release

OR:
--enable-release

to be honest I'm not positive on the specifics there.. that optimization line might mean the cpu optimizations which I guess could work on both builds, but I don't really know on it. I have only used --enable-debug each time and I am not dealing with any optimization.

Also, if you are using a contrib package with the words "gcc3.3.1-only", then you need to make sure your cygwin environment has either 3.3.1 or 3.3.3 will also work too. Do you know the version? Have you gone through that issue? To see, bash out gcc --version and see. There are some twists and tweaks you can do to your configurationing script if you have a higher version and are willing to disable libebml.

hth..

DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DanBrwn » 16 Sep 2005 17:14

Thank You So MUCH!
I was completely lost but now can see some sunlight. Your other post ( viewtopic.php?t=12265&highlight=) combined with this one is extremely helpful. I will only respond to specifics as relates to this post here but any who are lost as I am should also read the other post. It turns out that I did not have the correct version of GCC, I had version 3.4.4 so I just ran the cygwin setup again and selected 3.3.3 so now I should be good on that issue. In regards to bootstrapping, configure; Am I supposed to run the ./bootstrap script then the ./configure script in the vlc-trunk first. Then reboot, create a bootstrap, and configure script file for my parent directory of the vlc-trunk which contains the items like I listed before. My created bootstrap file containing my CPPFLAGS , LDFLAGS, CC defines and my configure script file containing my options for the actual compile / make as described. Then I should be able to go to the vlc-trunk directory and type ../bootstrap for the bootstrap invocation and ../configure for the configure invocation. After all is done, I can then type "make" and wait for the VLC to be created. Now if I change a single source file and want to recompile / link, what sort of script should I run? Just the ../bootstrap and ../configure then "make" or just type "make". I mean what should be run to prevent having to recompile all the object files? Again, Thanks So Much. Dan :D

EDIT:
After posting the above , I re-read your other post and realized you have already answered this question. So, two sum up the build process the file I create in the parent directory, actually calls the ./bootstrap script file in the vlc-trunk directory, with some arguments as set in my script file. After that is complete it calls the configure in the vlc-trunk directory with the arguments supplied in the file I created. All of this will create a makefile.in to be put in my vlc-trunk directory which, after restarting cygwin, will be invoked by make from the vlc-trunk directory. Whew! The bash / SVN / Automake / AutoConfig learning curve is steeeep. Thanks a lot.

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 16 Sep 2005 19:08

HAHA! okay, you made your [EDIT] so this isn't so relevant now.. :shock: hehe.. but yes, it seems you are understanding it more properly now. ;)
.. Now if I change a single source file and want to recompile / link, what sort of script should I run? Just the ../bootstrap and ../configure then "make" or just type "make". I mean what should be run to prevent having to recompile all the object files?
first let us talk about the initial building part, and then you can do something here, because it depends on the situation. For example if you change the files of a non-built-in plugin module you only have to type make in that modules directory... but there are a variation of possibilities for this idea so don't think about that for now.

I think you might be trying to make too many steps of the process. Here are the steps. There are only 2 after you have installed the source and contrib package and created your initiation script. These are the steps, roughly like this(where your initialization script is named "setup-my-vlc-distro-for-making"):

in the vlc-trunk directory from within bash:

1. run the initialization script you have created and placed in your own directory, the parent directory of where you are now.
../setup-my-vlc-distro-for-making

2. make it.
make

next you could run the program and have fun:
./vlc

But, to further clarify that, let us look further at this part. And all this should be the same as 1 and 2 that I have just mentioned:
In regards to bootstrapping, configure; Am I supposed to run the ./bootstrap script then the ./configure script in the vlc-trunk first. Then reboot, create a bootstrap, and configure script file for my parent directory of the vlc-trunk which contains the items like I listed before. My created bootstrap file containing my CPPFLAGS , LDFLAGS, CC defines and my configure script file containing my options for the actual compile / make as described. Then I should be able to go to the vlc-trunk directory and type ../bootstrap for the bootstrap invocation and ../configure for the configure invocation. After all is done, I can then type "make" and wait for the VLC to be created.
A more direct statement should be like this:
In regards to bootstrapping, configure; I will run the pre-packaged ./bootstrap script then the ./configure script that the developers have already provided in the vlc-trunk first. And I will do this by only invoking the 1 and only file I have created. I have already created the file and placed this file in my home directory, the parent directory of the vlc-trunk. I named the file "sha-zam". And, within the file contains only the 2 calls to invoke the pre-defined bootstrap and configuration scripts that were provided in the source code already. And, of course the "sha-zam" script I have created also contains appropriate variables that will be passed to vlc's bootstrap and configuration scripts, which I call, such as some typical CPPFLAGS , LDFLAGS, CC and more such as the --enable-release flag. After I run my sha-zam script I will type make.
Also, to say all that another way, here are some clarifications:
I will never go to the vlc-trunk directory and type ../bootstrap or ../configure.
I will never go to the vlc-trunk directory and type ./bootstrap or ./configure.
I will only go to the vlc-trunk directory and type ../sha-zam and my sha-zam file looks like this:
./bootstrap &&
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml"
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin"
./configure
--disable-sdl --disable-gtk
--enable-nls
--enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac
--with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora
--with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/win32/live.com
--enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin
--disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom
--enable-toolame --enable-dvdread
--enable-optimizations
--enable-release
So, after you have invoked the provided bootstrap and configuration scripts via running your own shazam script, then typing make would be appropriate.

Do you follow this part where I say you are not creating bootstrap or configure yourself?

Just remember, think of the whole thing as 2 parts:
1. invoke your own initializer script(called "sha-zam", or "setup-my-vlc-distro-for-making" or anything else but not called bootstrap or configure) which handles the entire 2 hours worth of bootstrapping and configurationing. (a further note is to say again that you will never type bootstrap or configure directly in the bash shell because it is already typed in your script).

2. invoke make
Last edited by zcot on 16 Sep 2005 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

DanBrwn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DanBrwn » 16 Sep 2005 19:25

Great explanations, Just poor execution on my part. Much, Much appreciation. Dan

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”