[2.0.7] Executing command-line kills VLC permanently

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
trejder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[2.0.7] Executing command-line kills VLC permanently

Postby trejder » 24 Jun 2013 15:44

Can someone enlighten me, what is so wrong about this command:

Code: Select all

vlc.exe screen:// --qt-start-minimized --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 --screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/mouse.png --screen-follow-mouse --screen-fps=10 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1800,scale=1}:std{access=file,dst=C:\TEMP\test.mp4}
or about "screen-follow-mouse" parameter in Windows version 2.0.7 of VLC?

When I use above command without it:

vlc.exe screen:// --qt-start-minimized --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 --screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/mouse.png --screen-fps=10 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1800,scale=1}:std{access=file,dst=C:\TEMP\test.mp4}
everything is fine, and screen area (0,0)(500,300) is correctly captured.

But, whenever I attempt add "screen-follow-mouse" to above command, to capture region around my mouse pointer, VLC crashes really badly (most times even Windows is unable to detect that it crashed and offer "a solution to this problem") and next time I start it, it asks me about sending developers an e-mail.

Can someone help me, providing correct command-line for capturing limited area of screen, that follows moving mouse?

Additionally, I noticed two things:

1. Whenever I click "Yes" in the dialog asking me about sending developers an e-mail, VLC again crashes and upon restart the same message is displayed -- as long as I keep pressing "Yes" VLC crashes, and I need to press "No" to get it running. Is "e-mail to developers" feature working in Windows port o VLC 2.0.7?

2. In these few moments, when Windows is able to detect, VLC crashed, it reports it as version 2.0.6, not 2.0.7. While, in "About" box, when I'm able to run VLC, I can clearly see "2.0.7 Twoflower". What's wrong?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: [2.0.7] Executing command-line kills VLC permanently

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jun 2013 17:29

Ok, file a bug about "screen-follow-mouse", please. And try VLC 2.1.0 if you can.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

trejder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trejder » 26 Jun 2013 10:10

Seems, that I have discovered many additional bugs, when doing tests, you've asked for.

I have downloaded and installed version 2.1.0-pre1-20130626-0031 Rincewind (buildslave@altair.via.ecp.f Jun 26 2013 00:40:18), but I'm unable to verify, if above mentioned problems exists! Each attempt to execute above mentioned command line (both first, working in 2.0.7, and second, causing crash in 2.0.7) in this newest version ends up with "VLC media player could not start. Either the command line options were invalid or no plugins were found".

When I try the capture (again in 2.1.0) GUI-way (clicking out options and adding some switches from above examples) I'm also unable to do this. All I got is an error message: "VLC is unable to open MRL 'screen://'".

When I opened this version of VLC for the first time, I've got info, that version 2.2.999 (strange number) is available to download ("VideoLAN and the VLC development team present VLC 2.1.0 "Twoflower"."). When I clicked "Yes", nothing happened.

After uninstalling "2.1.0-pre1-20130626-0031 Rincewind" and reinstalling official "2.0.7 Twoflower" I'm unable to execute any of above mentioned commands. VLC crashes now on both of them.

However, I can execute following command:

vlc.exe screen:// --qt-start-minimized --screen-follow-mouse --screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/mouse.png --screen-fps=10 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1800,scale=1}:std{access=file,dst=C:\TEMP\test.mp4}
Which includes --screen-follow-mouse, but doesn't include --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300. Video is captured without any problems.

Whenever I add --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 to command line:

vlc.exe screen:// --qt-start-minimized --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 --screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/mouse.png --screen-fps=10 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=1800,scale=1}:std{access=file,dst=C:\TEMP\test.mp4}
VLC 2.0.7 for Windows crashes, no matter, if command line includes --screen-follow-mouse or not. I don't know, how did I manage to get above mentioned (first post) results, but right now it clearly looks, that not --screen-follow-mouse, but --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 switches are causing described problems.

Found another problem. In one attempt out of ten I managed to execute VLC with --screen-width=500 --screen-height=300 and without --screen-follow-mouse and it did not crash. File was captured correctly (with capture are fixed to (0,0), (500,300) as there was not --screen-follow-mouse), but I noticed, that mouse pointer wasn't rendered correctly in such situations (I used --screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/mouse.png). Instead of full mouse image provided, VLC rendered captured video as mouse image would be only 1x1 on size and it repeated it in many frames. So, when capture area is cropped, instead of normally mouse cursor, we can see smudges of repeated top right pixel of that mouse image provided.

Filling bugs...

trejder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trejder » 26 Jun 2013 11:04

Bugs and problems mentioned above reported in following tickets: [ticket]#8871[/ticket], [ticket]#8872[/ticket], [ticket]#8875[/ticket], [ticket]#8876[/ticket], [ticket]#8877[/ticket] and [ticket]#8878[/ticket].

Additional feature requests around capture desktop video reported in: [ticket]#8873[/ticket] and [ticket]#8874[/ticket].

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”