Downloaded Videos not playing in VLC media player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Downloaded Videos not playing in VLC media player

Postby Kodika » 16 Jun 2013 13:03

I have previously experienced no problems when I have downloaded videos from YouTube using Real Downloader and then viewing them in VLC media player. However, I have recently had to take my pc back to factory settings after experiencing problems. My pc is now working perfectly okay, apart from a specific problem with VLC media player. After installing all of the Windows updates, I have re-installed Real Downloader and VLC media player. However, while I find that Real Downloader can download videos from the web as before, I find that they will not play in VLC media player. I have no sound or video although VLC shows the title and duration of the downloaded video. However, videos which I had downloaded using Real Downloader from YouTube before the re-installation of all the Windows software still play perfectly okay in the newly installed VLC media player. I would point out that I have little technical knowledge. I did try searching the help pages and forum for a solution to my problem without success. There are helpful tips if one has sound but no video, or video without sound, but I could not find any information which replicated my problem. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Lurker1954
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Downloaded Videos not playing in VLC media player

Postby Lurker1954 » 17 Jun 2013 03:23

I have this exact problem. I tried downloading the latest updates for RealDownloader and VLC. No luck! I think the problem may be originating in YouTube. Anyone have a Suggestion?

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 18 Jun 2013 03:20

I have the same issue. I downloaded a YouTube video file via Real Downloader and it says that it is has an mp4 extension. When VLC tries to play it the progress tab moves like its playing but there is no audio or video. Ideas??

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 18 Jun 2013 10:05

Youtube has recently made some changes so some downloaders might not be up to date yet.

Anyway, please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or to EmbedUpload.com, the latter will upload the file for you to several other hosts and then post the link to the file here.

Cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57724&p=193335#p193335
50 MB max should be enough.

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 18 Jun 2013 16:23

I have just pasted the debug log as requested on http://pastebin.com/ under the title "Country Girl video from Youtube not playing with VLC player". It is very long!

I am not at all technically minded so please forgive me if I am unable to complete your second request re uploading a sample of the file to http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or http://www.embedupload.com. I do not know how to do that. (I looked at your link on DGsplit but I do not feel confident attempting that.) Hopefully, the debug log will be sufficient.

I am grateful for your assistance.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 Jun 2013 09:15

We need the exact link to the log that Pastebin gave you.
Nothing technical about uploading, you just follow the on-screen instructions.

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 20 Jun 2013 15:19

Here is the exact link you requested. http://pastebin.com/w9fuFafh

I still feel unconfident re. you second request. I have no idea how to open a file, and would have no idea which part of the file I should choose to sample for uploading. I have no experience with working with video or audio files. Would it be possible for you to do that from the link I have provided?

Sorry to be difficult but I have only limited knowledge of computers.

I appreciate your assistance.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 20 Jun 2013 18:10

Just thought that I would mention that v2.0.7 was released and I installed it just now. VLC's behavior with the mp4 file is now instead of playing it without outputting any video or audio, it now flashes 0:00/0:00 by the progress bar at the bottom of the screen and that is it. So, I guess that it is worse, not better. I forgot to mention that I have XP Pro, 32-bit, dual-core.

I went back to change Messages to Verbosity 2, tried to replay the file and now nothing. Zero recognition of the request to play it.

Real Player will not play it either. It does VLC's previous behavior of playing it (acc to the progress bar) but no video or audio output. After checking Real's support page, it has this message at https://realnetworks.zendesk.com/entries/23698236 and says among other things:

"We are aware of a compatibility issue that is preventing some .mp4 files from playing in RealPlayer. Essentially, the files that are being downloaded are not actually MP4s but a new streaming format that is being misidentified as MP4.

We are working toward compatibility with this new format.

To check if a file is a true MP4 file or the new format, try playing the file in QuickTime." So, I updated QuickTime and it behaves just like Real Player. Progress but no audio or video.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 21 Jun 2013 10:19

As said before, we need a sample. Please follow instructions from this post.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 21 Jun 2013 14:58

I didn't get a message from pastebin or a log file, but I went back to Messages and the window contained info that I put into Pastebin at http://pastebin.com/Hb7cBsfr

I uploaded a file called Videolan Bad Company to the VideoLan site but have no idea how to access it.

Hope this helps

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 21 Jun 2013 20:12

The link you sent me, Lotesdelere is the link you provided before. I have read that, but as I explained before I have no idea how to open a file or which part of the file I should sample for uploading. I will try to help, but I need further assistance as I am not very computer savy.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Jun 2013 09:05

I've found your videos and it's the same issue as this one:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110740

It should have been fixed in v2.1.0 (see ticket 8651) so you can try a nightly build.

However notice that your files are either audio only (Youtube2 one) or video only (Youtube3 one) because of your downloader not handling the DASH format properly hence saving incomplete files.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 22 Jun 2013 15:09

So, I see vlc-2.1.0-pre1-20130622-0003-win32.exe. Will that do the full install or do I have to uninstall 2.0.7 first (For XP)?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jun 2013 14:02

It will do the full install.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 23 Jun 2013 15:07

Thanks Jean-Baptiste! Video works perfectly, not getting any audio, though. I looked at the Audio settings to be sure that my sound card was specified. I checked it off but to no benefit.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jun 2013 15:32

On all files, or just this one?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 23 Jun 2013 15:43

I don't download a lot of YouTube videos but I did download 3 quality levels of this Bad Company video. The 1080p (148mb) has video, but no audio, and the other lower quality (5mb and 10mb) downloads have audio, but no video! I looked through by files and found a 54mb Linda Ronstadt mp4 that plays fine and was downloaded in 2010.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Jun 2013 10:10

The 1080p (148mb) has video, but no audio, and the other lower quality (5mb and 10mb) downloads have audio, but no video!
Yes I already explained that in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=378494#p378494
However notice that your files are either audio only (Youtube2 one) or video only (Youtube3 one) because of your downloader not handling the DASH format properly hence saving incomplete files.

Code: Select all

General Complete name : K:\BadCompany-YouTube2.mp4 Format : dash Codec ID : dash File size : 896 KiB Duration : 30s 0ms Overall bit rate mode : Constant Overall bit rate : 245 Kbps Encoded date : UTC 2013-06-11 21:25:55 Tagged date : UTC 2013-06-11 21:25:55 Audio ID : 1 Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format profile : LC Codec ID : 40 Duration : 30s 0ms Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 254 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz

Code: Select all

General Complete name : K:\BadCompany-YouTube3.mp4 Format : dash Codec ID : dash File size : 148 MiB Duration : 5mn 30s Overall bit rate : 3 755 Kbps Encoded date : UTC 2013-06-11 21:26:35 Tagged date : UTC 2013-06-11 21:26:35 Video ID : 1 Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4.0 Format settings, CABAC : Yes Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames Codec ID : avc1 Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding Duration : 5mn 30s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 3 751 Kbps Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9
You can get MediaInfo and check your files yourself.

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 24 Jun 2013 20:28

Hi Lotesdelere, have you had a chance to look at the link of the debug file I posted on 20 June http://pastebin.com/w9fuFafh?
As I mentioned in my later post of 21 June, if you can explain to me how to open a video file and how to select which part of the file I should sample for uploading I will try to do that. However, I need further guidance.

Since I last posted I have found that the Real Downloader "Download this video" button has disappeared from Firefox. (I suspect this may have something to do with me installing the latest Java update [Version 7 Update 25]). I also lost the button temporarily in IE9 but it reappeared after I disabled the Java(tm) SSV Helper. Downloaded music videos still fail to play (although a couple of news videos have downloaded sucessfully which play okay). However, the majority of content on YouTube still will not play afer downloading with Real Downloader.

Hope you can assist.

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 28 Jun 2013 00:49

Since I posted the debug file on http://pastebin.com/w9fuFafh, I have not received any feedback. Can anyone help me with that, and with my problems with Firefox as outlined in my post of 24 June?

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 28 Jun 2013 01:31

We are being told that it is Real Downloader's fault because of the DASH format.... whatever that is. Time to find a better downloader. Personally, I am considering giving up on both VideoLan and Real.

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 28 Jun 2013 18:48

Thanks for the reply Larbo. Can you, or anyone else on the site suggest an alternative downloader that will work with VLC media player?

Kodika
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kodika » 05 Jul 2013 12:01

After trawling the web and other forums, I have found a downloader that still plays You Tube music videos (even Vevo ones). It is the YouTube Video and Audio downloader (version 0.2.2) which is an Add-On for Firefox and plays them in the .flv format. it can be found here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... audio-dow/.

One warning - it does not work in private browsing mode.

Hope this is helpful.

Larbo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Larbo » 07 Jul 2013 19:09

I downloaded YTD Video Downloader and it worked great. Just be sure to press DECLINE on the other stuff they hope to unload on your computer.

Diatta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Diatta » 23 Oct 2013 16:13

Bonjour,
Je pense que nous sommes nombreux à observer le même problème.Que ce soit des vidéos téléchargées depuis Youtube ou autres. Ces vidéos sont au format dash (comme la lessive) et VLC n'a pas eu le temps de développer les correctifs. Pour ma part je télécharge depuis le Web les vidéos à l'aide d' Helper Firefox qui me donne le choix de les convertir en MPEG-4, donc pas de problème. Sauf bien sûr pour les fichiers vidéos que l'on m'envoie, des .flv pour la plupart, que je réencode avec souvent beaucoup de perte à l'aide de "SUPER" ou "MediaCoder" ou autres...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”