Error spanning video on Dual monitors-Wallpaper & Video Wall

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dinglesniff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Error spanning video on Dual monitors-Wallpaper & Video Wall

Postby dinglesniff » 08 Jun 2013 00:31

Greetings,

So I have spent a few hours on this and have done a few things I will detail. The problem is that the monitor will only span both monitors when I put it in desktop mode.

A few people mentioned the Video Wall filter problem when you want a video two span two monitors (or 3). However, there are a few problems when I use this the windows will not go full screen by mouseclicks, and there are bars on each side. To circumvent this I used the guide in the link below. This guide tells you how to make your own custom aspect ratio and crop. Then while you are watching the video you put it into Wallpaper mode. I don't have an issue with this mode, but it is not conducive and this should not be the only work around.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-pl ... lack-bars/
Image before Wallpaper mode:

Image after set to wallpaper mode
As you can see your icons and taskbar still show so it is not the best option.

Doing more research Video Wall mode was used and per above the image will not expand. Instructions to reproduce:

Tools > Preferences > All > Video > Uncheck "Overlay Video Output"
Video > Filters> Image Wall> Set number of columns to 2, number of rows to 1 (NB. in version 1.1.x, setting the number of rows to 0 was okay. This will crash the current version so we use 1 instead) and set "Element aspect ratio" to 16:10.
Video > Filters> Scroll down to bottom, check "Wall video filter"
Save Settings, close VLC
Open VLC, open video file.
We now have two windows. As with the old procedure, we move one to the second screen. Now in version 1.1.x you would either double click on the window (which would full screen both) or right click on the video and select "Full Screen" however the window does not appear to respond to clicks.

There IS a way to get the windows full screen by disabling "Window Decorations" in Preferences > Video, however this change only takes effect after restarting VLC, and then both video windows open on the same screen again. Now, because there are no window decorations, you cannot move the windows to their appropriate screens.

Further details that might help:
Running on Windows 7 (have tried on two different computers with two different graphics cards & processors so far)
Currently using two monitors at 2560x1600 each,
video is 5300 x 1600, M

So what am I supposed to do? When I then put decorations back on and have the videos it looks like this other users:
This image cannot be right clicked. If you make it full screen you have two black bars on either side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dinglesniff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Error spanning video on Dual monitors-Wallpaper & Video

Postby dinglesniff » 13 Jun 2013 17:32

Anyone?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Error spanning video on Dual monitors-Wallpaper & Video

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Jun 2013 15:59

Try VLC 1.1.11 and Wall (not wallpaper) mode.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”