Computer freezes when doing seek with MKV

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aryhann
New Cone
New Cone

Computer freezes when doing seek with MKV

Postby Aryhann » 27 Apr 2013 09:05

Hi,

Hopefully I am addressing the right problem.
On Windows 7, With both VLC 2.0.5 and VLC 2.0.6 when playing an .mkv file everything goes fine until I do seek on the file. If I seek at the beginning of the file, I don't have big problems, but when I seek after minutes 40 the file freezes.
I then close VLC.
If I try to open the file again, VLC is not opened again, but I can see that in the explorer window the "green" bar is taking time for loading.
If I check after closing VLC in task manager, I can see that VLC is still executing and that it is taking quite a good amount of CPU, as well as desktop window manager.
If I try to close the process from task manager, nothing happens: VLC is still in execution.

After this, the computer is very slow and I have hard time opening programs.
When I try to shut down the computer, the computer hangs and I have to brutally kill it with the start up button.

I have noticed some problems also playing some AVI files on windows media player and I have uninstalled some Windows update from 2011 that in some other forum, was the cause of succh issues, but it doesn't seem to have made any improvements in my case.
I think I have also the latest drivers, but this has started to happen all of a sudden few days ago without me changing anything in the computer configuration.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Computer freezes when doing seek with MKV

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Apr 2013 08:35

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or to EmbedUpload.com, the latter will upload the file for you to several other hosts and then post the link to the file here.

Cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57724&p=193335#p193335
50 MB max should be enough.

Aryhann
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aryhann » 29 Apr 2013 09:06

Hi,

thanks for the indications.
I think I might have found out that the big problem was actually the file. I couldn't even copy it to another drive.
However, I have been having other issues with some other files - so if I will encounter the problem again I will follow your directions.

Thanks

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 29 Apr 2013 14:54

Most seek problems should have been resolved with 2.0.6, unless your file lack index, in that case you'll have to wait for my new new seek method.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”