slow DVD CSS encryption on non-SSE2 CPU

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Marino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

slow DVD CSS encryption on non-SSE2 CPU

Postby Marino » 15 Apr 2013 23:48

Hello,

i looked at the slow menu loading issue with VLC player again and found out that it's only related the CSS encryption routine. For testing i opened a complex non-CSS encrypted DVD with VLC and the menu popped up within 10 seconds. A CSS encrypted DVD "Brave" (R1) took around 20 minutes to come up with the menu! Could this be related the non-SSE2 supporting CPU?! Can this be fixed?

Thanks for the support and help.

greetings

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: slow DVD CSS encryption on non-SSE2 CPU

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Apr 2013 23:54

Brave is a DVD specially engineer to block players like VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Marino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Marino » 16 Apr 2013 00:18

Hello Jean,

the same behaviour VLC also shows with much older DVDs. For example Gremlins special edition (R1). Nearly the same passed time until the menu shows up.

Is there a way to try out older versions of Libdvdcss (libdvdcss-2.dll) with VLC? If so, how?

Marino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Marino » 16 Apr 2013 17:22

Hi,

the Plextor DVD Burner (RPC1)(IDE jumpered slave) can play the DVD within 10Sekonds. The LG Combo drive (RPC1)(IDE jumpered master) takes this long as described above. I flashed the fw again today to see if anything changes but still the same issue. How can i check if RAW access works properly? Is it possible that it has to do with the Combo drive?

Update: Also flashed back the original RPCII firmware and tested with a RC2 dvd. Still no change. Menu takes ages to show up.

Update 2:
Aha, it has nothing to do with the drive! I tested VLC v0.9.8a and the Gremlins R1 DVD loaded up fine and fast on the LG drive! I don't know what got changed from v 0.9.8a-to-2.05/2.06 but somehow the CSS encrypting/loading routine got screwed up on the way.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”