VLC remote interface shows me all files on server system

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
98Guy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC remote interface shows me all files on server system

Postby 98Guy » 09 Mar 2013 02:06

I am running VLC 2.0.5 on a win-98 system (with the help of KernelEx) and it seems to function just fine (I've been running VLC under win-98 for years as my primary media player). I have enabled the HTTP remote interface, and I'm running an android app (Remote for VLC) on a Polaroid 7" tablet.

On the VLC interface running on what I'm calling the "server", my playlist is (initially) empty, and media library has a single entry (pointing to a "music" directory) that I can open like a tree to show entries for various music folders.

However, on the tablet, I can select either a playlist or media library, and either choice is showing me basically every directory on the hard drive of the "server". What do I have to do to restrict the Library view on the table to match what I've pre-defined from within VLC running on the server?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC remote interface shows me all files on server system

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Mar 2013 09:06

You can't. The VLC HTTP interface exposes everything just like the normal UI does.

Not that by default, it only allows connection from loopback. If you change this, we strongly recommend you set a password in the HTTP interface preferences.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

98Guy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC remote interface shows me all files on server system

Postby 98Guy » 09 Mar 2013 14:50

The following code is from my browse.xml file:

============
for i,e in ipairs(browseTable.element._array) do
print('\n<element ')
for k,v in pairs(e) do
print(" "..httprequests.xmlString(k).."='"..httprequests.xmlString(v).."'")
end
print('/>')
end
==============

It is different looking code (different script or programming language?) than what I see here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84663#p279994

On that page, Lafcadio seems to be adding code that examines the strings in the browse table and only prints those strings that contain his pre-defined or desired path/folder containing his media files (look at his code example).

How would I modify my browse.xml code such that it could include similar string-comparison statements to replicate this functionality? Presumably this would have the desired result - which would be that browsing from a remote device would only "see" or be limited to the files in the pre-defined path. (I know that this does not block access to the entire file system, but I am only focused on browsing behavior here).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”