Help with desktop recording/streaming function.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
OctopusPot
New Cone
New Cone

Help with desktop recording/streaming function.

Postby OctopusPot » 04 Mar 2013 04:20

Okay so I just want to say, I JUST started using VLC this way. So I'm not very skilled or knowledgeable in coding or anything like that, I just really need advice or an explanation. I've just started trying out the VLC desktop recording function, and it's REALLY cool and good. It's in great quality and the frame rate is great for what I do. But I have a HUGE Problem. :/ I cant seem to open my recorded files in any editing software I have ((With the exception of VideoPad, but that takes 123283782934 years just to make a preview, and aint no body got time for all that, AND i just got a new computer with windows 8 unfortunately so Videopad wont let me use it for more than 14 days free anyway))

Any who, No matter what file type I save it as, it wont open in any of my editing software :( I got it to open once by using the default but the quality was so bad it looked like someone filmed it with a VHS or something. And I have virtual dub installed, but for some reason it will only open fla files. So I tried saving my recording as an FLA file but when I tried to open it in virtualdub it said it couldn't be opened because it was "empty". Does anyone have any idea on the proper way to save my desktop recordings? :( and in good quality please? Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to be clear.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: Help with desktop recording/streaming function.

Postby TypX » 04 Mar 2013 11:30

Well if you don't use the default values, you are most likely using bad encoding/muxing parameters. If the resulting file is 0 byte the file is really empty because vlc couldn't use the options you gave it.
You should check http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... _HowTo_New

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”