DirectShow Issue with VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

DirectShow Issue with VLC

Postby wgshiver » 23 Feb 2013 16:41

Ok so here is the problem I am having and it only happens when I try to sue DirectShow. I have a WinTV 950Q capture device. If I boot up VLC for the first time and go to Open Capture Device and set it to pull composite video because that is where it is plugged in at. When I press play the video comes up fine and it works great.

The problem comes when I close VLC. Its like DirectShow never lets the video go or runs separately. When you open VLC back up and do the same steps and press play the timer for how long it has been playing is still counting from the last time you started it. So for instance I watched i last night and stopped it. Then opened it back up this morning and the timer for the stream was already at 12 hours when I turned it back on.

How do you stop this thing. VLC closes all the way but does DIrectShow run seperate from VLC? I through it was just a driver that was being used but it seems as though some process VLC uses is staying opened and not closing.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: DirectShow Issue with VLC

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Feb 2013 16:49

Make sure that there is no zombie vlc.exe process on the system retaining the DirectShow device.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 23 Feb 2013 16:53

When I close it the process goes away. I was having a problem getting the vlc.exe process to close at first but I updated to the latest version of VLC and that solved that problem. So as far as I can tell there is nothing involving VLC under the running processes in task manager. Does it execute any other processes to use directshow?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Feb 2013 16:54

No. It's a bug in your DirectShow driver then. You should get support from its vendor instead.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

jbailey86
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jbailey86 » 25 Nov 2013 20:14

I too am in a similar situation like you. Can you give me some pointers. Could you tell me if you were able to get this done and what was your setup?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”