VLC 2.0.4 crashes converting youtube vids to mp3

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vlcguy
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.0.4 crashes converting youtube vids to mp3

Postby vlcguy » 18 Oct 2012 23:09

Not sure if this breaks the rule about posting about non open source software b/c I have no idea what that means.

Anyway I tried converting youtube videos to .mp3 files.... some work but usually vlc crashes and shuts down. Upon re-opening vlc I get the msg:

VLC crash reporting
VLC media player just crashed. Do you want to send a bug report to the developers team?

I selected the "minimum" install during the install wizard, not sure if it makes a difference.

Any help?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 2.0.4 crashes converting youtube vids to mp3

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Oct 2012 23:49

How do you convert it? What steps do you take?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcguy » 19 Oct 2012 00:07

Media>Open network stream...> under the network tab I paste the URL of the youtube video that I want to convert

then I hit the drop down arrow next to the play button, select convert, click browse to select the destination, enter the file name with ".mp3" at the end, then under profile I choose "Audio - MP3", then click start.

I used to do this all the time with vlc 2.0.1 with no problems, until recently (about a month or two ago) when that stopped working. I downloaded 2.0.4 today... the first video worked but then after that it was hit and miss.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Oct 2012 00:45

Hmm, Youtube behaviour changed a bit. I need to check...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcguy » 19 Oct 2012 01:44

thank you

Valkyr09
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Valkyr09 » 30 Oct 2012 08:42

Hi,

I am experiencing the same thing and saw this post. I did not know whether to start a new topic or reply here. Anyway, I did nearly the same thing:
i) I captured the stream from Youtube on my harddisk and opened it in Vlc via media>convert/save
ii) After setting some of the settings for the conversion to mp3 and starting the conversion,VLC crashed.

I am using VLC 2.04 on windows 7 64bit home premium. As I had the previous VLC 2.03 setup, I changed version just to give it a try. Conversion worked with the version 2.03 using same settings. I suspect that this will relate to a VLC codec problem with the version 2.04, maybe.

Hope this can help.

mds
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mds » 02 Nov 2012 21:13

Same for me

Trying to convert from dvdsimple:// (:audio-track=0 :disc-caching=300 :start-time=3895.000 :stop-time=4075.000) to h.264 + AAC profile (open media dialog). win 7 x64

MorDen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MorDen » 03 Nov 2012 19:15

I have the same problem. It used to work with vlc 2.0.3. Then youtube changed the way it worked, I replaced the youtube.luac file with the updated one from the nightly builds and it worked again. Since I updated to 2.0.4 it stopped working again :/

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Nov 2012 10:33

vlcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcguy » 05 Nov 2012 20:55

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I don't understand these two posts... I do not see how it is the same issue as the one I am having.

I am running xp pro 32bit. As I've said before, a few months ago vlc 2.0.1 worked just fine, then I believe something changed on youtube which no longer allowed vlc to convert the files directly to mp3. I tried running vlc 2.0.3 on other machines (win7 64 bit), but that did not solve the issue. When vlc 2.0.4 came out I upgraded, hoping the issue was fixed. It only worked once or twice initially and then started crashing.

ateague
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ateague » 06 Nov 2012 02:36

Not sure if this breaks the rule about posting about non open source software b/c I have no idea what that means.

Anyway I tried converting youtube videos to .mp3 files.... some work but usually vlc crashes and shuts down. Upon re-opening vlc I get the msg:

VLC crash reporting
VLC media player just crashed. Do you want to send a bug report to the developers team?

<snip>
I am also experiencing the same issue with 2.0.4.
It appears to be an issue with mp3s - the problem goes away if I convert to .ogg

vlcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcguy » 13 Nov 2012 19:44

Has there been any update to resolve this issue? Is there another method to convert to .mp3?

AVLCUser
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AVLCUser » 14 Nov 2012 07:47

Just updated to the latest version of VLC and have been having this same issue of VLC crashing upon trying to convert a video file over to MP3...

However, the videos I was trying to convert, I had already D/L'd to my hard-drive...

Here's what USED TO WORK before updating to the latest version of VLC.

1. Open VLC
2. Click on Media > Convert-Save
3. Click ADD Button > browse to the selected video I wanted to convert.
4. Click on bottom "Convert/Save" button
5. Select the desired "Destination Location" for converted file.
6. Under "Settings", I would select "Audio - MP3"
7. Click on START
8. VLC would successfully convert file.

HOWEVER

After updating and trying those same steps, VLC would 'crash' repeatedly.

BUT

*I* found an alternative solution, which is:

1. Follow steps 1 through 5
2. At step #6...instead of selecting Audio - MP3...I now just choose "Audio - MP3(MP4)"
3. VLC Successfully converts said video/file and plays mp3 file fine!

No issues whatsoever ATM!

So..if it helps anyone else...try using the various browser plug-ins (DownloadHelper/NetVideoHunter) to first D/L the video you'd like to convert...then fire up VLC and follow the steps above to see if VLC still crashes!

PS: I'm running an XP SP3 PC...

spam4me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spam4me » 15 Nov 2012 02:20

I tried your method, but I don't have "Audio - MP3(MP4)", can you click of the "Edit Selected Profile" in the Convert dialog, then share what does "Audio - MP3(MP4)" looks like?

thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Nov 2012 23:38

I think this is a common issue, we'll try to fix.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Valkyr09
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Valkyr09 » 21 Nov 2012 05:19

Just updated to the latest version of VLC and have been having this same issue of VLC crashing upon trying to convert a video file over to MP3...

However, the videos I was trying to convert, I had already D/L'd to my hard-drive...

Here's what USED TO WORK before updating to the latest version of VLC.

1. Open VLC
2. Click on Media > Convert-Save
3. Click ADD Button > browse to the selected video I wanted to convert.
4. Click on bottom "Convert/Save" button
5. Select the desired "Destination Location" for converted file.
6. Under "Settings", I would select "Audio - MP3"
7. Click on START
8. VLC would successfully convert file.

HOWEVER

After updating and trying those same steps, VLC would 'crash' repeatedly.

BUT

*I* found an alternative solution, which is:

1. Follow steps 1 through 5
2. At step #6...instead of selecting Audio - MP3...I now just choose "Audio - MP3(MP4)"
3. VLC Successfully converts said video/file and plays mp3 file fine!

No issues whatsoever ATM!

So..if it helps anyone else...try using the various browser plug-ins (DownloadHelper/NetVideoHunter) to first D/L the video you'd like to convert...then fire up VLC and follow the steps above to see if VLC still crashes!

PS: I'm running an XP SP3 PC...
Thanks AVLCUser. I tried the Audio - MP3(MP4) profile and it worked. :)

oldVLCuser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oldVLCuser » 21 Nov 2012 05:25

Good morning and please forgive my poor English cause i'm french people.
I have exactly the same problem as other persons bring back on this topic :
Playlist --> Right Click on title-> Record-> Destination filename.mp3-> Selected Codec-> Audio - MP3-> Start-> Crash.

Before installing this version 2.0.4, I used VLC 2.0.2 and never had this problem, excepted if the name of title to record includes
either accentuated characters, or one apostrophe in title, or special characters. Or else if method of chosen encapsulation was not
correct, 'raw ' in this case.

I tried with old .flv and .mp4 files which VLC 2.0.2 converted properly. The reason of this problem of systematic crash cannot
therefore be attributed to ' new methods ' used by YouTube...

I know all hard job that you devote yourself for the elaboration of VLC. It is however strongly annoying that, prior to deposite a new VLC update online,
you did not think of proving this how so much essential function of VLC which consists to turn into .mp3 the .flv and .mp4 files formats...
The frustration of the systematic crash invites to migrate to others possibilities...

Thanks for your listening and your answer to come.

================================================

Bonjour et désolé pour mon mauvais anglais.
J'ai exactement le même problème que les autres personnes rapportent sur ce topic :
Liste de lecture --> Click droit sur titre --> Enregistrer --> Destination filename.mp3 --> Codec selectionné --> Audio - MP3 --> Démarrer --> Crash.

Avant d'installer cette version 2.0.4, j'utilisais VLC 2.0.2 et n'avais jamais connu ce problème, excepté si le nom du titre a enregistrer comportait
soit des caractères accentués, soit un apostrophe dans le titre, soit des caractères spéciaux. Ou encore si la méthode d'encapsulation choisie n'était pas
correcte, "brut" en l'occurence.

J'ai essayé avec d'anciens fichiers .flv et .mp4 que VLC 2.0.2 convertissait convenablement. La cause de ce problème de crash systématique ne peut
donc pas être imputé à de "nouvelles méthodes" employées par YouTube...

Je sais tout le travail et le mal que vous vous donnez pour l'élaboration de VLC. Il est cependant fort dommage que, préalablement à la mise en ligne
d'une nouvelle version de VLC, vous ne pensiez pas à vérifier cette fonction ô combien essentielle de VLC qui consiste à convertir des formats .flv
et .mp4 en d'autres comme le .mp3 par exemple. La frustration du crash systématique invite à migrer vers d'autres solutions...

Merci de votre écoute et de votre réponse à venir.

amanisdude
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amanisdude » 22 Nov 2012 19:10

Hi everyone,

I just want to add some more information to this thread for diagnostic purposes. I'm using the same version of VLC (2.0.4), and I've had the same issue occurs when trying to convert ANY file format to MP3, not just videos. The following are some of my observations:

- This occurs when converting ANY file format (video or audio) to MP3, including from OGG or WAV to MP3.
- It occurs only for the 32-bit version of VLC and possibly only when running on 64-bit Windows. I have not had this problem in the experimental 64-bit version.
- It does not occur on Ubuntu, 32-bit or 64-bit.

I hope this information helps. ^_^

-AmanIsDude

oldVLCuser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oldVLCuser » 25 Nov 2012 03:02

More than 1720 view on this topic... So it means a real problem... :roll:

But still not any fixing or answers... :cry: This is Annoying...

I have to add from previous topic that :

I'm running Windows XP - SP3 32bits, and all about Windows update is ok...
Anyway i sent at least 10 time reports from crashing VLC when it occured.

xaios
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xaios » 25 Nov 2012 08:45

I can also confirm that this occurs for any video type.

The Audio - MP3 (MP4) appears to work, can anyone shed light on what the difference is between these two formats? A quick google yields no results, attempting to play the resultant file in a media player other than VLC (such as Windows Media Player) yields failure. VLC plays it back just fine.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Nov 2012 09:14

I know all hard job that you devote yourself for the elaboration of VLC. It is however strongly annoying that, prior to deposite a new VLC update online,
you did not think of proving this how so much essential function of VLC which consists to turn into .mp3 the .flv and .mp4 files formats...
The frustration of the systematic crash invites to migrate to others possibilities...
There is one lone guy (not me) building the Windows releases. Testing already occupies him several hours of his free time. It is simply impossible to cover everything that VLC can do, especially with a small and unpaid team. Testing is therefore mainly focused on playback.

If you think this is not good enough, the VideoLAN team would be more than happy to use your free time for betatesting. Just download the latest nightly build every day, test it, and report regressions to the bug tracker.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

oldVLCuser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oldVLCuser » 25 Nov 2012 11:27

Well, i find nowdays people are so much agressive... :shock:

Just like i said, it was my very FIRST sentence :

I know all hard job that you devote yourself for the elaboration of VLC.

So, don't feel offended or injuried so fast omg!!!

Furthermore, i'm not the first and the only one to complain from this issue. It's a fact.
And i'll add that, unfortunately yes... converting .flv and .mp4 vids files into .mp3 it's one of the most attractive points of VLC.
And i'm sure you know it perfectly... So, it's not MY fault if this indispensable feature crash and won't work anymore with the new VLC 2.0.4 version... :(

I repeat to you, do not feel offended, it is just an observation. :roll:

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Nov 2012 12:38

Most people use VLC because it plays back almost anything. I do not believe that transcoding is the main feature that VLC is used for. And even if I were wrong, the small team would still focus on smoke testing playback, not transcoding.

There are two very simple reasons why there are regressions: not enough people testing preversions to detect regressions before shipping, and not enough people fixing bugs in time for shipping. Telling the few existing developers what to do is counter-productive.
Last edited by Rémi Denis-Courmont on 25 Nov 2012 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

furface
New Cone
New Cone

Postby furface » 25 Nov 2012 15:54

I also am having problems with 2.0.4 video conversion. What I did for now is remove VLC from my computer and all the associated files. I than went to http://www.oldapps.com/VLC_Player.php and downloaded version 2.0.3. VLC is back to working as one would expect. I check weekly to see if VLC has been updated from 2.0.4. Once it is I will download the newer version and try it out.
In the mean time, I have done what everyone reading this has done,report the issue.

spam4me
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spam4me » 27 Nov 2012 01:36

I tried your method, but I don't have "Audio - MP3(MP4)", can you click the "Edit Selected Profile" in the Convert dialog, then share what "Audio - MP3(MP4)" looks like?

thanks
I tried uninstalling VLC, then reintall version 2.0.4 using custom install with option to completely remove old preference enabled. I now have the "Audio - MP3(MP4) profile. I am able to convert mp4 to mp3 again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”