Lost All Audio VLC Media Player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bprof1023
New Cone
New Cone

Lost All Audio VLC Media Player

Postby bprof1023 » 26 Sep 2012 23:16

Suddenly lost all audio when playing any downloaded or saved videos in VLC Media Player v 2.0.3 Twoflower.
(Windows XP SP3, SoundMax Digital Audio and SRS Audio Sandbox (I presume these are referred to as the mixers). I have tried changing between the two and it makes no difference.
Audio in all other applications works fine (i.e. other media players playing same downloaded videos, or any other application requiring audio.
Coincidentally, I lost all audio, also very suddenly, when viewing videos on Youtube.com, but only in Firefox and Chrome, however I DO get the audio coming through if I use Opera as the browser. Very odd coincidence.
I tried searching for similar problems in the forums, and the only thing that seemed similar, suggested changing the audio channel under the "Audio" Menu. When I did, all that was listed was "Disable" and "Track 1".
I appreciate all who read this and possibly can help me.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: Lost All Audio VLC Media Player

Postby Arite » 27 Sep 2012 00:40

Try resetting VLC's settings:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ#How ... ettings.3F

If that doesn't help then try changing the audio output module (see below).
I tried searching for similar problems in the forums, and the only thing that seemed similar, suggested changing the audio channel under the "Audio" Menu. When I did, all that was listed was "Disable" and "Track 1".
You need to be playing something that has audio in order to change the audio channels output. When playing some going to "Audio >> Audio Channels" should allow you to switch between Mono, Stereo etc. This probably won't fix your issue though.

If resetting VLC's setting didn't help try changing the audio output module by going to:
Tools >> Preferences >> Audio

And for the "Output module" select your desired one (try e.g. "Win32 waveOut extension output"). Then press "Save" and try a file.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”