VLC won't play SOME *.mkv files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Scarecrow237
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Windows 7

VLC won't play SOME *.mkv files

Postby Scarecrow237 » 02 Sep 2012 23:28

Recently I found that VLC will crash if I attempt to play certain mkv files. It will play others, but not certain ones. The mkv files that vlc won't play will still play fine in Media Player Classic. I would prefer to play all my videos, no matter the format through VLC, but having certain ones crash the client is rather bothersome.

I can find no difference between the mkv files that play compared to the mkv files that don't play.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC won't play SOME *.mkv files

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Sep 2012 11:29

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or to EmbedUpload.com, so it will upload the file for you to several other hosts, and then post the link to the file here.

Scarecrow237
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Scarecrow237 » 03 Sep 2012 16:31

When I attempt to play the mkv file with Verbosity set to 2, I cannot save what appears, because VLC crashes immediately to desktop. The error messages are no longer there when I attempt to open the client again. If I attempt to save the file before loading the flawed mkv file, it save a blank log file. VLC crashes immediately to desktop whether I open VLC first and load the file after or if I double click on the mkv file or if I right click and select "play" or "open with"

The videos that crash the client are all longer than 2 hours, and I don't think you want the whole thing. I don't have any way of editing the videos into a shorter format or creating a clip since Media Player Classic doesn't have editing features.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Sep 2012 12:07

Then run VLC with this command line:

Code: Select all

vlc --extraintf=logger --verbose=2 --logfile=C:\vlc.log --logmode=text --file-logging
You may have to change the path to the destination file for a location folder where you're allowed to write in.

jonnyc67
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jonnyc67 » 08 Sep 2012 17:56

Hi, I'm getting the same problem exactly. here is the error report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: vlc.exe
Application Version: 2.0.3.0
Application Timestamp: 5007ce85
Fault Module Name: StackHash_b536
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce6c3
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: b536
Additional Information 2: b536aa4d6ecd761b9fed69677a3ab004
Additional Information 3: 1fb5
Additional Information 4: 1fb5314a7f9c49786ea5f68b98888723

It's definitely not a hardware fault, or a fault with VLC as such as it was working perfectly playing the same files night before last. Since then I added Winff, Comodo internet security & a few security critical windows updates.
It seems that VLC is having conflict problems with one of the aforementioned apps. I've tried deleting & reinstalling video drivers & catalyst control centre. I even formatted C: and did a full new vanilla install of windows 7 64 bit sp1, and loaded mobo chipset drivers, vga drivers etc.
Hardware is as follows;
Cpu Amd Phenom II x4 965
Mobo Asrock n68... with Nvidia Nforce chipset & via hd audio sound chipset
Memory 16GB ddr3 1333
VGA Card sapphire RAdeon HD6670 2GB
HDD 3x SATA2 2x 1TB, 1x 2TB various makes.

Software is

Windows 7 pro 64 bit SP! oem
Google chrome
MOzilla thunderbird
asrock OCTuner overclock utility
asrock Xfast usb
asrock IES
Amd Catalyst control centre vga drivers & setting utility
WinFF
Comodo internet security premium
Adobe reader 9
Utorrent

It was originally working ok with

Windows 7 pro 64bit oem sp1
amd catalyst control centre
mozilla thunderbird
google chrome
latest version vga drivers & catalyst control,
original version mobo chipset & sound drivers.

Hope this helps.

jonnyc67
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jonnyc67 » 09 Sep 2012 02:07

Recently I found that VLC will crash if I attempt to play certain mkv files. It will play others, but not certain ones. The mkv files that vlc won't play will still play fine in Media Player Classic. I would prefer to play all my videos, no matter the format through VLC, but having certain ones crash the client is rather bothersome.

I can find no difference between the mkv files that play compared to the mkv files that don't play.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
I ended up fully uninstalling VLC 2.0.3 32 bit including deleting cache & settings & installed the beta version 2.0.2 64 bit version - problem solved plays all files perfectly. You might want to give it a go as you're running win 7 64 bit.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Sep 2012 14:35

Probably an audio or video driver issue. try to deactivate audio, in preferences. and start VLC again. Play a file. Do the same for video.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”