Failed to open mouse pointer image

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
syn1kk
New Cone
New Cone

Failed to open mouse pointer image

Postby syn1kk » 14 Aug 2012 17:46

I am trying to use the capture device where it uses a mouse pointer image. VLC version 2.0.2. Windows 7 64 bit.

I open the capture device as follows through the GUI:
- Media --> open capture device
- Capture Mode --> Desktop
- click show more options
- edit options
- my options looks like this:
" :screen-fps=10.000000 :live-caching=300 :screen-mouse-image=c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png"

NOTE, the path to the mousePointer.png is correct. I copy and pasted instead of typing manually.

When I look at VLC log messages by pressing ctrl-M and upping logger to debug level. I get the following:
screen debug: Using c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png for the mouse pointer image
main debug: creating access 'c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png' location='', path='(null)'
main debug: looking for access module: 0 candidates
main debug: no access module matched "c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.083 ms - Total 0.083 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.083 ms)
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input
main error: no suitable access module for `c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png'
main debug: could not open c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png for reading
screen error: Failed to open mouse pointer image (c:\Users\trevsmit\Desktop\mousePointer.png)

NOTE, I added the bold emphasis.

I checked permissions and the file has rwx for all users. so i don't think permissions is an issue.

How do you get the mouse pointer to capture in Desktop screen capture mode?

syn1kk
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Failed to open mouse pointer image

Postby syn1kk » 14 Aug 2012 18:08

So there wasn't anything that I could find on google or these forums. but i did my own debugging. i enabled logging. i also went and output the vlc.exe -H and noticed that many of the files need to have a specific URL. i.e. file:///. i then saw what the syntax for opening a file is when you open a video file.

then i tried using the same screen-mouse-image option. but this time i used the file:/// url. here's the full option i provided to the GUI:

Code: Select all

:screen-mouse-image=file:///c:/Users/trevsmit/Desktop/mousePointer.png
Now there is not any errors in the log file and vlc is recording a mouse cursor.

krische
New Cone
New Cone

Postby krische » 28 Aug 2012 15:54

Thank you so much for figuring this out!

I have had the same problem for a long time, but could never get it to work.

tanaaron
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tanaaron » 14 Nov 2012 20:38

Hi, I used the suggested URL code (:screen-mouse-image=file:///c:/Users/trevsmit/Desktop/mousePointer.png) and it worked on one Windows 7 computer, but not on another. I got the error pop-up below on the latter computer. . . anyone know what this means?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: vlc.exe
Application Version: 2.0.4.0
Application Timestamp: 507c71cd
Fault Module Name: vlc.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 507c71cd
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001795
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033