VLC-Player 2.0.2 and Broadcom CrystalHD support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Halvar
New Cone
New Cone

VLC-Player 2.0.2 and Broadcom CrystalHD support

Postby Halvar » 01 Jul 2012 21:58

Hi,

I installed VLC Player 2.0.2 today on my Atom N450 tablet (WeTab aka ExoPC aka Lucid) running Windows 8 RP 32bit. The tablet has a Broadcom CrystalHD BCM70015 chip that accelerates decoding of H264. Drivers are installed, and the chip works when I use Media Player Classic, WMP or Flash.

In the release notes of VLC 2.0.2 I read that it now supports CrystalHD, so I was eager to try it beacuse I use VLC all the time on my other computers -- but it doesn't seem to work for me. First, I activated GPU acceleration in the video codec settings, but the chip isn't used when playing h264 videos.

After reading in this forum I then tried to specify "crystalhd" as a preferred codec in preferences, and I also tried to start vlc player using "vlc --codec crystalhd". In both cases, as soon as I tried to start a h264 video (using the file/open menu), VLC crashed.

Has anyone gotten CrystalHD to work with VLC yet?

Thanks,
Halvar

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC-Player 2.0.2 and Broadcom CrystalHD support

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jul 2012 22:07

There might be a regression. I will look at it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ikarus76
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ikarus76 » 21 Aug 2012 13:12

Any info regarding the crystalhd support?

pmshah
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pmshah » 15 Oct 2012 06:33

I too have been using VLC for donkey's tears. A couple of years back I got Zotac motherboard with dual core Atom to build a 24/7 running HTPC. This PC with 1 internal 2.5" HDD and even up to 3 external 2.5" USB powered HDDs consumes under 30 watts of power, not counting the TV connected as monitor. Have tried 4 different versions of Windows. 32 and 64 bit versions of XP & 7. Except for x64 XP on all other versions VLC simply dies. Dropped frames , losing synch, you name it. There is zero hardware acceleration. In comparison freeware splayer (out of China, I believe) with excellent hardware acceleration does a perfect job. Unfortunately for me that is not a solution. I happen to be slightly hearing impaired. So I need subtitles all the time. To be able to keep up with the conversation I usually play my video at something like 70% - 80% speed. VLC handles this beautifully on my Phenom Quad system without any problem with sync, video or distorting audio. Splayer can't handle this reduced speed video reproduction. Unfortunately my Phenom Quad consumes 120/130 watts of power, not acceptable for a HTPC.

Just for this reason I am upgrading my system to a low power Intel i3-3220-T. I hope to be able to contain power consumption to under 35 watts.

I suggest VLC coders to look at splayer and see how they have manged genuine hardware acceleration in a truly portable package.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”