Cannot encode AAC audio

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Cannot encode AAC audio

Postby publius » 12 Aug 2005 06:56

Windows XP Pro SP2, VLC 0.8.2 official release version. I'm trying to convert a .AVI file using 10 Mbps MPEG-IV video and 320 kbps MPEG audio, as created by a capture programme, into a .MP4 file using MPEG-IV video at 1.5 Mbps and MPEG-IV [AAC] audio at 320 kbps.
I use the following sout string:

Code: Select all

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1536,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=320,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,url="G:\primeuser\My Videos\spool\heroes.mp4"}}
The file as it comes out has no audio stream. Now, I assumed that since AAC [= mp4a] is available through the GUI, that I could actually output it. Looking at the "streaming features" list, I see that to encode AAC requires compiling ffmpeg with libffaac support. Is this not done for the Windows binary, and if not, how would I go about doing it myself? I have never been able to get AAC to encode with VLC.
When I did not transcode the audio from mpga, I got a nasty error trying to play in QuickTime, all about the audio data being invalid and the Decoder Configuration Descriptor corrupted. Transcoding it to aac, I get no audio at all. I am going to try a couple of others and see what happens.

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Explain this if you can!

Postby publius » 12 Aug 2005 07:02

Puzzlingly, when I try encoding at 192 kbps video and 16 kbps mono audio, it comes out fine [looking bad, but I mean it works, the audio actually exists]. Oddly the audio bitrate claims to be 720 kbps. I must explore further. Stream 0 is the audio track, and stream 1 the video track; whereas with the higher-bitrate file both streams were, identically, the video track.
With 1536 kbps video and 16 kbps stereo audio, I again get picture and sound: the audio bitrate is displayed as 1536 kbps.
Results for 1536 kbps video and 128 kbps stereo audio are substantially identical as for 1536/16.
With audio set to 192 kbps stereo and 1536 kbps audio, the file size produced is exactly the same as for the 1536/128, and I have to begin questioning what is really going on. It still plays audio, though. Just the same happens with 1536/256 selected.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”