VLC 1.1.4 crashes when trying to save file associations

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
belinda_f
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.1.4 crashes when trying to save file associations

Postby belinda_f » 02 Sep 2010 18:52

Hi,

VLC crashes every time when i try to save file associations, even if i don't change anything in the file association window. It happens on both my Windows XP SP3 (full admin user) and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installations, everything else up-to-date. Already deleted folder %appdata%\vlc, but that didn't help. Seems like VLC is not even able to write a crashdump, the file %appdata%\vlc\crashdump is empty after crashing. VLC asks for sending one anyway and i clicked yes. Using Tools -> Messages didn't help too, it crashes with VLC instantly.

Good luck finding this bug. I have to change back to media player classic as long as this is not working. I know it can be configured in windows folder options, but i don't want to fiddle around with this and prefer programs that maintain their file associations automatically and permanently.

Greets
Belinda

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC 1.1.4 crashes when trying to save file associations

Postby VLC_help » 04 Sep 2010 11:14

Known issue. Use installer if you want to change file associations.

dumbo4711
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby dumbo4711 » 05 Sep 2010 00:47

in windows 7 you can change file associations easily even after vlc has been installed
with windows control panel

i have the german version

systemsteuerung > programme > standardprogramme > standard programme festlegen

in the left field should be vlc listed

click on vlc and on the bottom on the field "standards für dieses programm festelegen"

now u can click on each file type vlc supports to be associated with vlc or u click on "alle auswählen" to assign all supported formats to vlc
after pressing on ok supported file types will have vlc logo and will open when double click on them
(some mod formats which vlc supports are missing with vlc standard associaton and have to assoicated manually with right click on mod file and then select to open always with vlc for e.g. .669 files)

its the same window u see when changing associations in vlc options
but seems in control panel u have full rights with vlc u don't
when vlc crashes try starting vlc as admin (even when u r loged on as admin under w7)
before changing associations in vlc or do it with control panel

sry for german version :-)

normally vlc file associations will be permanent after doing this in control panel
but if u install other media players depending on there options file associatioin may be changed by them

hazymat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hazymat » 14 Sep 2010 15:38

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit with default installation of VideoLAN.

After attempting the recommended solutions above, the problem persists.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, selecting NO extension associations from the installer GUI, but when you look back in VLC's options associations screen, the default associations ARE set. It's impossible to unset them without an application hang.

I cannot possibly go through every single extension manually using the Windows Control Panel applet, it's not possible to list them in different orders than alphabetical, and besides you can't multiple select formats. It would take me an AGE to find them all.

Olpol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Olpol » 19 Jul 2012 03:43

Known issue. Use installer if you want to change file associations.
This is still not fixed in 2.0.2
I would have thought it it was a known issue for almost two years it'd be fixed by now...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”