vlc 2.0.2 not installing/2.0.1 crashing/fix hasn't worked

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
daveinmanc
New Cone
New Cone

vlc 2.0.2 not installing/2.0.1 crashing/fix hasn't worked

Postby daveinmanc » 06 Jul 2012 11:12

Long time lurker first time poster :)

Just got the update to 2.0.2 which seems like its been ages coming for that fix for icecasts directory glitch . . . . . .

2.0.1 crashed when open and trying to download - D/L from the videolan main site to find 2.0.2 won't install so D/L'd from sourcforge and others just in case . . . no difference.
(See image)
The only thing that worked and it was pretty flawless, was downloading the zip file and installing straight from the .exe which worked a treat but then needed a shortcut making for the desktop that's all, other than that my headache was over in five minutes, just thought i'd share as I saw the 2.0.1 crash - post below and thought it may be a bug . . . .
Nothing gets you out of 'the box' except abort . . ..

FTR the machine i'm on runs win xp SP3 although i'm really a linux mint user by night ;)

Last edited by daveinmanc on 06 Jul 2012 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

daveinmanc
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc 2.0.2 not installing/ 2.0.1 crashing/solution

Postby daveinmanc » 06 Jul 2012 11:50

I take it all back lol !

Well that didn't last long..........nothing in the internet section on the playlist, won't open shoutcast links on right click, won't open .wma files,
I gave up after that, it may have installed but it ain't working ! I've rolled back to 2.0.1 and I'll just watch the forum 'til someone knows what's going on : /

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: vlc 2.0.2 not installing/2.0.1 crashing/fix hasn't worke

Postby Lotesdelere » 07 Jul 2012 14:37

A ghost instance is still running in the background.
Reboot your computer and try again.

Vulcan219
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vulcan219 » 09 Jul 2012 12:37

A ghost instance is still running in the background.
Reboot your computer and try again.
That isn't the case, I have had the same issue and if it is a ghost instance running, you can catch it with the task manager, I am running Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and have found no ghost instances running with my task manager, also I have rebooted and still have this same issue as well I am rolling back to the 2.01, I would go back to the 1.11 but that version doesn't play some of the newer mkv high def videos. This issue needs to be addressed and fixed before people decide to stop using vlc. Which is a shame, cause in my own opinion, vlc is the best player out.

Vulcan

vlcforum2k2k
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcforum2k2k » 16 Jul 2012 20:04

here's what i am running into. i am having installation problem where it took over an hour just to uninstall the previous version. and then very slow trying to install 2.0.2, i hit many hangs so i never got it install.

worse, every time i open my windows explorer and try to right-click on the 2.0.2 EXE file, it hangs my PC. problem for both XP and Windows7. this drove me crazy for 2 days. finally, use the DOS prompt to delete the 2.0.2 EXE file. btw, I redownload the 2.0.2 file and still the same hanging problem. :(

so i went to get 2.0.1 and no problem, installation was fast (no not like fast and furious eric holder... LOL), really fast like a minute installation or less. yippey!!! :D

btw, i have symantec anti-virus and ad-aware on all my PC. all i have to say is something strange with 2.0.2. major install bug to me, and causing windows explorer hanging bug.

Vulcan219
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vulcan219 » 17 Jul 2012 01:29

here's what i am running into. i am having installation problem where it took over an hour just to uninstall the previous version. and then very slow trying to install 2.0.2, i hit many hangs so i never got it install.

worse, every time i open my windows explorer and try to right-click on the 2.0.2 EXE file, it hangs my PC. problem for both XP and Windows7. this drove me crazy for 2 days. finally, use the DOS prompt to delete the 2.0.2 EXE file. btw, I redownload the 2.0.2 file and still the same hanging problem. :(

so i went to get 2.0.1 and no problem, installation was fast (no not like fast and furious eric holder... LOL), really fast like a minute installation or less. yippey!!! :D

btw, i have symantec anti-virus and ad-aware on all my PC. all i have to say is something strange with 2.0.2. major install bug to me, and causing windows explorer hanging bug.
I agree with you on there is a major install bug in the new release, I had to go back to the old one too, cause of the issues with the new one.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2012 09:12

The 2.0.2 installer is the same code than the 2.0.1 one.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Medophias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Medophias » 17 Jul 2012 10:13

Lotesdelere is correct, I didnt have to restart my comp though, just open up ur task manager if the error is still occuring andgo into the processes, look through them and u should find a process for vlc, it is there you just have to look properly, end it and re-try the install for 2.0.2, that fixed it for me anyway.

daveinmanc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby daveinmanc » 17 Jul 2012 11:39

Quick update 2.0.2 is now working fine for me on the XP machine . . . . . . my Linux Mint machine has not had any problems with recent updates.

:)

Olpol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Olpol » 19 Jul 2012 03:47

VLC has been trying to update from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 for me for a few weeks now. Every time I allow it to update, it downloads the patch then closes VLC. I reopen VLC about 10 minutes later and it wants to send a report because it crashed.
This situation repeated a dozen times over the last few weeks until today I just went and downloaded the 2.0.2 client from the website.
It prompted me to uninstall 2.0.1 first, which I allowed it to do. It then installed 2.0.2
After installing, I went to change the file associations and it crashed again.

Crashes all over the place. This product used to be so good but seems really unstable now. I worry that this lack of quality assurance is going to drive people away from a once great product.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”