VLC 2.02 Not responding to "Open with..." command

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC 2.02 Not responding to "Open with..." command

Postby MacEachaidh » 14 Jul 2012 03:39

A new problem with 2.02 that didn't exist for me with previous versions:

If I play a video file with VLC, then when it finishes I right-click another file and choose "Play with ... VLC", there's no response from VLC. The file isn't opened or played.

If I close the VLC window, then repeat the right-click on the file, then it is opened and played successfully.

Are others experiencing this?

vlcforum2k2k
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.02 Not responding to "Open with..." command

Postby vlcforum2k2k » 16 Jul 2012 19:58

i did not get that far. i am having installation problem where it took over an hour just to uninstall the previous version. and then very slow trying to install 2.0.2, i hit many hangs so i never got it install.

worse, every time i open my windows explorer and try to right-click on the 2.0.2 EXE file, it hangs my PC. problem for both XP and Windows7. this drove me crazy for 2 days. finally, use the DOS prompt to delete the 2.0.2 EXE file. btw, I redownload the 2.0.2 file and still the same hanging problem. :(

so i went to get 2.0.1 and no problem, installation was fast (no not like fast and furious eric holder... LOL), really fast like a minute installation or less. yippey!!! :D

btw, i have symantec anti-virus and ad-aware on all my PC. all i have to say is something strange with 2.0.2. major install bug to me, and causing windows explorer hanging bug.

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 2.02 Not responding to "Open with..." command

Postby MacEachaidh » 16 Jul 2012 21:10

Sorry to hear that, 2k2k.

My installation (and uninstallation, for that matter) was quite fast, but I don't have Symantec myself (I tried it for a while and it seemed quite good, but more recent versions have started getting piggish again, so I backed away). In any case, I always check the executable for greeblies, then disconnect internet access and shut down my antivirus software while I install. I don't know if the a-v causes the go-slow, but I figure it's better not to have it sniffing around file changes and maybe getting bolshie while I'm trying to install something.

Anyway. For now I'm like you: I've reverted to VLC 2.0.1, and it's all working fine again. I was hoping someone from Videolan might drop a response in here, but they don't seem to be interested. I guess I'll wait until the next version is released, and give that one a try.

I hope they get the other bugs you've mentioned sorted! ;-)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”