Question & comment_VLC not detecting video output

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Question & comment_VLC not detecting video output

Postby Chrisi22 » 10 Jun 2012 03:18

VLC 2.0.1 portable in Vista x64 suddenly stopped playing some vids. At 1st, I thought it was only WMV. Then figured out it was any 1920 x 1080 file, but others are still playing.

Realizing I'd just upgraded my Nvidia GPU drivers 301.42, I figured it must be related, but really don't know the exact settings that would be involved.
Before I realized what it was, I played same problem vids in (portable) MPC-HC & they played fine. Huh.

Went back to VLC & looked at the Video Settings > Output, & saw it was "Default." I don't know what it ever was before because never had to look. Remembered reading the Nvidia drivers use (somewhere, sometimes???) Open GL. Changed the selection in VLC video settings output to that & the 1920x1080 started playing fine.

I don't know enough about differences in how VLC & MPC-HC detect settings & why MPC had no problem w/the new drivers & detecting output type? Without doing some real digging, I assume I chose the right output type - Open GL. It was the 1st I tried & worked. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Question & comment_VLC not detecting video output

Postby Lotesdelere » 11 Jun 2012 10:57

Just use the video output that you feel is the best for your system :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”