Video Stuttering with VLC 2.0

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
superstring
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Video Stuttering with VLC 2.0

Postby superstring » 24 Feb 2012 16:49

I'm not sure about what "reduce the number of threads to 4" means in VLC's case, but anyway I tried looking for "thread" in VLC's options and found a promising confuguration value in "Input / Codecs -> Video Codecs -> FFmpeg", named "Hardware decoding". The default thread number is 0, I tried setting it to 4, saved changes and restarted VLC; however, I'm sorry to say the stuttering issue is still there, both with GPU acceleration and without it, exactly the same as before modifying the thread value. Am I doing something wrong, or should we try something else?

Thanks anyway for the information, regards.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Feb 2012 19:13

Does it help if you rename libspeex_resampler_plugin.dll to libspeex_resampler_plugin.dll2 ?

superstring
New Cone
New Cone

Postby superstring » 24 Feb 2012 20:07

No, sorry, no difference at all. In fact, I renamed the whole "plugins\audio_filter" folder, with no positive results.

With GPU acceleration disabled, I get constant "hiccups", and the debug log fills with error messages really fast; if I enable GPU acceleration, some parts of the video play properly, but other parts play like at a reduced frame rate, you know, it's like playing a game at 10fps, the animation never really "stutters" but is not fluid at all. If I play the video several times the stuttering disappears a little, but not completely; the whole issue is quite odd, I think :(

As suggested in other post, I also tried using several output modules (Direct3D, OpenGL, DirectDraw...), to no avail.

I've done some more tests, and it seems the problem only appears with 1080p content, the standard-def and 720p videos I've played with VLC 2.0 show no problems whatsoever. Again, all my videos (1080p or not) play at perfect speed with VLC 1.1.11.

Regards.

ArtiiP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ArtiiP » 24 Feb 2012 20:38

I have the same problem with audio/video output
but when my laptop (CPU:Core2Duo/winXP) have some hard work (like running VirtualBox virtualization on one core) them all problem disappear.
Maybe halting cpu or some timer (by power saving) make this bad?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Feb 2012 19:27

That is prolly the same CPU power saving bug that has bothered VLC for years. Currently power saving things like Cool and Quiet etc. don't notice that VLC wants CPU cycles. So CPU frequency is kept too slow, setting the Windows power mode to full power should solve it.

dilbert1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dilbert1 » 26 Feb 2012 03:16

sorry - it doesn't.
By the way - have you noticed what we are saying? THIS AUDIO STUTTERING WAS NOT IN VLC 1.10.x
It is most CERTAINLY only in version 2.0.0

To make it clear to you:

renaming libspeex_resampler_plugin.dll to libspeex_resampler_plugin.dll2 - DOESN"T HELP
setting the Windows power mode to full power - DOESN"T HELP

THIS IS A VLC 2.0.0 BUG

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Feb 2012 14:10

dilbert1: I was answering to ArtiiP, not to you.

solamour
New Cone
New Cone

Postby solamour » 28 Feb 2012 03:24

I guess I wasn't the only one with the stuttering video issue (Win7 x64, Core i7 with low-end Intel video). Funny thing is, some files play fine, while others simply get stuck. Audio is fine in all cases, though. I really need something that just works, so I downgraded to 1.1.9 for now. I sure hope it gets fixed in the next release.
__
sol

silanea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby silanea » 02 Mar 2012 22:40

Windows 2008 R2 x64, quad-core Phenom, dual GeForce 8800GT here. Had the same issue, but it disappeared once I switched to OpenGL video output. Smooth as a baby's behinds now. With a 1080p MKV CPU usage is between 11 and 19%.

travisFL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby travisFL » 04 Apr 2012 02:33

Don't usually post on forums (just a lurker) but this has been bugging me...

switching to OpenGL did the trick for me as well... thx for the tip!

win7x64, i7, 8gb, g570

herrwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby herrwolf » 04 Apr 2012 04:52

Don't usually post on forums (just a lurker) but this has been bugging me...
ditto, however these (and things suggested in other threads) did not fix it for me.
win7x64, i7 (3.2ghz quad), nvidia geforce 260gtx

the log says:

Code: Select all

main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 19 ms) main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1156x653 window main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 70 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 53 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 36 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 20 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 3 ms) main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 993x591 window main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 68 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 52 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 35 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 18 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 19 ms) main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 813x514 window main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 69 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 52 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 36 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 19 ms) main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 797x510 window main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 72 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 56 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 39 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 22 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 6 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 3 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 49 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 33 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 16 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 18 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 16 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 16 ms) main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 831x500 window main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 66 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 50 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 33 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 16 ms)
etc...
the file is a 720p mkv / h264 mpeg-4 avc with a52 sound. so far so good, however the file is encoded with 59.94 fps. is this the cause of the problem maybe?

MOST files play very smooth and without any problems, just some seem laggy / skippy

travisFL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby travisFL » 04 Apr 2012 16:35

I'm not an expert, so taking a shot in the dark... have you monkeyed with your codec settings? maybe try resetting those to default... you use klite codec pack right? there is an option to reset all to defaults in the start menu folder

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Apr 2012 19:05

VLC doesn't use external decoders so stuff like k-lite doesn't matter.

PJP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PJP » 15 Apr 2012 03:22

I have the same problem with VLC 2.0.0/2.0.1, really sad :cry:

OpenGL isn't good way since it makes the program to work bad and slow.
What happened to the good VLC 1.1.11? :(

jwhud148
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwhud148 » 16 Apr 2012 03:05

First and foremost, I am sorry for the lengthy and poorly explained problem. That being said...
Ok, so I have been having the "stuttering" problem with the last view versions of VLC that I have been using. I am currently using 2.0.1 Twoflower. I have tried to find were to change the cache options, in order to change it to a higher setting, which seems to help most people. My problem is that I can't seem to find the option to do so. When I open Tools --> Preference --> Input & Codecs (Show settings All) --> Access Modules --> File, there is no option to change any number value. On the screen are three different lines...

Line One:
Directory

Line Two:
Subdirectory behavior (with a dropdown menu that has three options 1. none 2. collaps and 3. expand)

Line Three:
Ignored extensions (with a box where I can type file types, currently containing the following text: m3u,db,nfo,ini,jpg,jpeg,ljpg,gif,png,pgm,pgmyuv,pbm,pam,tga,bmp,pnm,xpm,xcf,pcx,tif,tiff,lbm,sfv,txt,sub,idx,srt,cue,ssa)

There is absolutely no number value on the page.

So how do I change cache options, or whatever I need to do?
I like VLC, but I can't keep using it if every time I go to watch a video file, be it TV Show, Movie, etc, it stutters every 45 seconds or so.

Can anybody help?!?

jwhud148
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwhud148 » 16 Apr 2012 03:05

First and foremost, I am sorry for the lengthy and poorly explained problem. That being said...
Ok, so I have been having the "stuttering" problem with the last view versions of VLC that I have been using. I am currently using 2.0.1 Twoflower. I have tried to find were to change the cache options, in order to change it to a higher setting, which seems to help most people. My problem is that I can't seem to find the option to do so. When I open Tools --> Preference --> Input & Codecs (Show settings All) --> Access Modules --> File, there is no option to change any number value. On the screen are three different lines...

Line One:
Directory

Line Two:
Subdirectory behavior (with a dropdown menu that has three options 1. none 2. collaps and 3. expand)

Line Three:
Ignored extensions (with a box where I can type file types, currently containing the following text: m3u,db,nfo,ini,jpg,jpeg,ljpg,gif,png,pgm,pgmyuv,pbm,pam,tga,bmp,pnm,xpm,xcf,pcx,tif,tiff,lbm,sfv,txt,sub,idx,srt,cue,ssa)

There is absolutely no number value on the page.

So how do I change cache options, or whatever I need to do?
I like VLC, but I can't keep using it if every time I go to watch a video file, be it TV Show, Movie, etc, it stutters every 45 seconds or so.

Can anybody help?!?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Apr 2012 18:51

Tools -> Preferences (set Show Settings to All) and Input / Codecs and increase File caching

PJP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PJP » 17 Apr 2012 21:57

Tools -> Preferences (set Show Settings to All) and Input / Codecs and increase File caching
It doesn't help :roll:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Apr 2012 20:35

What does Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) complain when stutter occurs?

PJP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PJP » 20 Apr 2012 17:29

What does Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) complain when stutter occurs?

Code: Select all

main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 4 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 3 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 3 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 56 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 25 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 6 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 56 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 23 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms) packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported packetizer_mpeg4audio warning: ADTS CRC not supported main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 4 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 2 ms)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 21 Apr 2012 14:10

Does the stuttering disappear if you disable audio via Audio -> Audio track -> Disable?

PJP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PJP » 21 Apr 2012 21:40

Does the stuttering disappear if you disable audio via Audio -> Audio track -> Disable?
No :(

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2012 13:08

Which Windows power plan you have selected?
http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080317/03_ ... 40x405.jpg

PJP
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PJP » 23 Apr 2012 15:41

No difference, Balanced/High performance.

USPnet
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.11
Operating System: W7

Postby USPnet » 23 Apr 2012 17:46

I'm joining this club as well. Fine with VLC1.x, VLC2 stutters hopelessly. Previously I gave up and reverted, but I do not want to admit defeat.

Nothing so far in this thread makes any difference.

System W7 6.1SP1 - 8 core 16G Ram, Display Radion HD4600

A 2MB wmv capture of the issues can be fetched from http://usp.net/vlc/vlc2-goes-wonky.wmv

All from MPG2 Files on local hard drive. Sound only also stutters. All files play fine on version 1 VLC.

The log output http://usp.net/vlc/test2.log repeats...

main warning: audio output out of sync, adjusting dates (129652 us)
main warning: buffer way too late (210516), dropping buffer
main warning: buffer way too late (186516), dropping buffer
main warning: not synchronized (129652 us), resampling
main warning: buffer way too late (291897), dropping buffer
main warning: buffer way too late (267897), dropping buffer
main warning: buffer way too late (243897), dropping buffer
main warning: buffer way too late (219897), dropping buffer
main warning: buffer way too late (195897), dropping buffer
main warning: audio output out of sync, adjusting dates (139680 us)
main warning: not synchronized (139680 us), resampling

I should add

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”