VLC 2.0.0 RC1 is running slow with MKVs

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 2.0.0 RC1 is running slow on Core i7

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Feb 2012 18:34

PIng. I need testers on this quick.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

katzverz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby katzverz » 14 Feb 2012 02:20

PIng. I need testers on this quick.
What needs to be tested? Is there a more recent build that we can try, newer than rc1?
I have Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz with HT (it has 4 physical cores with HT, so gets reported as 8 logical CPUs by Windows), and I have just installed 2.0.0-rc1 and I can reproduce this problem. I run on Win7 64-bit SP1, 6Gb of memory.
With default settings it tries to use 9 threads for FFmpeg and is quite laggy (347 lost frames out of 1500 displayed).
With 7 FFmpeg threads I get 61 dropped frames out of 1500.
When I set number of threads to <= 4 everything plays fine (0 dropped frames out of 1500).

Btw, another bug (or feature?) that I've noticed, not sure if this has been reported by anybody else yet: VLC 1.11 used to keep playing in background even when its window was minimized. VLC 2.0.0-rc1 pauses playback of mixed (video+audio) content when the window is minimized. Is there an option to continue playing the audio track while the window with video is minimized?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2012 09:03

First the bug you mentionned is fixed after RC1.
Then, can you try: http://www.jbkempf.com/~jb/vlc-2.0.0-win32.exe and check that the issue is still present and then use http://people.videolan.org/~jb/libvlccore.dll with it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

klogg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klogg » 14 Feb 2012 18:04

Thought I would drop by and let you know that I got the same frame dropping and choppy playback as described earlier. Using 64bit 2.1.0-git-20120212-0402 on an i5 2500k. Setting FFmpeg to use 1 or 2 threads solved most of the dropping for me but there is still some [less noticeable] frame drops left.

Also, unrelated bug I came across..
After starting VLC by opening a video through file extension association, I am unable to open a new file with the same process [or using context menu]. It will put all of the files in the original video's location into a playlist and play the first playable alternative, if there is no playable alternative it will simply just start the original video again. Opening files through VLC's own open file (ctrl+o) alternative works fine though.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2012 18:09

Thought I would drop by and let you know that I got the same frame dropping and choppy playback as described earlier. Using 64bit 2.1.0-git-20120212-0402 on an i5 2500k. Setting FFmpeg to use 1 or 2 threads solved most of the dropping for me but there is still some [less noticeable] frame drops left.
This is seriously wrong...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kaefera
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaefera » 14 Feb 2012 19:33

First the bug you mentionned is fixed after RC1.
Then, can you try: http://www.jbkempf.com/~jb/vlc-2.0.0-win32.exe and check that the issue is still present and then use http://people.videolan.org/~jb/libvlccore.dll with it?
I tried it. It kinda improves playback. While previously the picture would freeze for a few seconds and then continue it now no longer freezes but plays with various micro freezes in between (picture stops for a fraction of a second). Enabling or disabling GPU acceleration doesn't make any difference. Here is the log:

http://pastebin.com/CktYa3QG (too long to post it here, sorry :()

System is i7 2700k with a Geforce 560 Ti (latest beta drivers), 16 GB RAM and using Windows 7 x64. The file was played from an external hard drive. It doesn't make a difference from where I play it though. I tried network, SSD as well as mechanical hard drives with the same results.

If there is anything else I can do to help you nail this nasty bug please let me know. My machine is yours (figuratively, not literally ;)).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2012 22:05

Can you try to force threads to 4?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

katzverz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby katzverz » 15 Feb 2012 01:25

Ok, I've installed http://www.jbkempf.com/~jb/vlc-2.0.0-win32.exe, got the same behavior as rc1 (with default settings I got about 360 dropped frames out of 1500 on 1080p content).
Then I've replaced my libvlccore with the one downloaded from http://people.videolan.org/~jb/libvlccore.dll
Now the behavior is noticeably better. Statistics window shows zero dropped frames on the same 1080p movie. But the playback is still choppy, not smooth with default codec settings, when it uses 9 threads for FFmpeg.

In the log window I can see a lot of messages about late frames:
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 95 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 55 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 25 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 101 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 63 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 33 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 100 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 62 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 26 ms)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 101 ms)

Setting the number of threads to 7-8 improves things slightly (the playback feels smoother, there are still messages about late frames, but there are fewer of them and they mostly happen on complex scenes with a lot of movement in the frame)
When I set number of threads to 4 the playback is perfect - it's smooth, there are no dropped or late frames.

Btw, I've noticed one interesting thing. The total CPU utilization is less than 8% in all cases, but when I looked at Windows Task Manager, which displays separate CPU utilization charts for each core, I've noticed that regardless of the FFmpeg threads setting (I've tried 1,2,4,8,9 threads), the task manager shows that only 4 logical cores out of 8 are busy (about ~10-15% each) doing something. The other 4 logical CPUs are sitting mostly idle.
The only way I could see more than 4 cores being utilized is when I launched multiple instances of VLC and started playing multiple videos simultaneously. I guess Windows is aware of HT and tries to schedule the computational load across the physical cores first, and only when it needs more CPU power it starts using the HT cores as well.

kaefera
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaefera » 15 Feb 2012 02:12

Can you try to force threads to 4?
Sure. No noticable changes for me though:

Code: Select all

main debug: processing request item: OnceT.mkv, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: resyncing on OnceT.mkv main debug: OnceT.mkv is at 1 main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'OnceT.mkv' main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\DEVELO~1\AppData\Local\Temp' main debug: `file:///Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv' gives access `file' demux `' path `/Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv' main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv' file='Z:\Downloads\OnceT.mkv' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 3 candidates main debug: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.391 ms - Total 0.391 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.391 ms) main debug: creating access 'file' location='/Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv', path='Z:\Downloads\OnceT.mkv' main debug: looking for access module: 3 candidates filesystem debug: opening file `Z:\Downloads\OnceT.mkv' main debug: using access module "filesystem" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.117 ms - Total 0.117 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.117 ms) main debug: Using stream method for AStream* main debug: starting pre-buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 40000 KiB/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 4 candidates main debug: no stream_filter module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.060 ms - Total 0.060 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.060 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.048 ms - Total 0.048 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.048 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv' file='Z:\Downloads\OnceT.mkv' main debug: looking for demux module: 55 candidates mkv debug: | + Seek head mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - info at 4151 mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | | + TimecodeScale=1000000 mkv debug: | | + Muxing Application=libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1 mkv debug: | | + Writing Application=mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15 mkv debug: | | + Duration=2621184 mkv debug: | | + Date=Mon Oct 24 07:50:05 2011 mkv debug: | | + UID=-560142162 mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - tracks at 4300 mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=2995329698 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=video mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track MinCache=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=92 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=41708375 mkv debug: | | | + Track Video mkv debug: | | | | + width=1280 mkv debug: | | | | + height=720 mkv debug: | | | | + display width=1280 mkv debug: | | | | + display height=720 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=2 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=2170236805 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=audio mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=A_AC3 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=32000000 mkv debug: | | | + Track Audio mkv debug: | | | | + afreq=48000 mkv debug: | | | | + achan=6 mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | | + Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | - cues at 1445801307 mkv debug: | + Cues qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input mkv debug: | - loading cues done. mkv debug: | + Void mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | + Void mkv debug: | + Cluster mkv debug: found 2 es main debug: selecting program id=0 mkv debug: Starting the UI Hook main debug: using demux module "mkv" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 10.849 ms - Total 10.849 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 10.849 ms) main debug: looking for a subtitle file in Z:\Downloads main debug: looking for decoder module: 31 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 4 thread(s) for decoding avcodec warning: threaded frame decoding is not compatible with ffmpeg-hw, disabled avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 4 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.038 ms - Total 1.038 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.038 ms) main debug: looking for decoder module: 31 candidates main debug: using decoder module "a52" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.182 ms - Total 0.182 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.182 ms) main debug: looking for meta reader module: 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Development\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac main debug: no meta reader module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.827 ms - Total 0.827 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.827 ms) main debug: `file:///Z:/Downloads/OnceT.mkv' successfully opened main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: Buffering 0% a52 debug: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:384000 main debug: recycling audio output avcodec debug: Available decoder output format 61 (PIX_FMT_DXVA2_VLD) main debug: Buffering 85% avcodec debug: Trying DXVA2 main debug: looking for audio output module: 2 candidates aout_directx debug: Opening DirectSound Audio Output main debug: Stream buffering done (512 ms in 0 ms) avcodec debug: DLLs loaded aout_directx debug: found device: Primary Sound Driver aout_directx debug: found device: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device) aout_directx debug: found device: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device) aout_directx debug: device supports 5.1 channels aout_directx debug: device supports 4 channels aout_directx debug: device supports 2 channels aout_directx debug: device supports 1 channel aout_directx debug: Windows says your SpeakerConfig is stereo aout_directx debug: creating DirectSoundThread main debug: using audio output module "aout_directx" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 16.371 ms - Total 16.371 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 16.371 ms) aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread ready main debug: output 's16l' 48000 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/4 bytes main debug: mixer 'f32l' 48000 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/8 bytes main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'s16l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 14 candidates audio_format debug: f32l->s16l, bits per sample: 32->16 main debug: using audio filter module "audio_format" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.085 ms - Total 0.085 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.085 ms) main debug: conversion pipeline completed main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 2 candidates main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.051 ms - Total 0.051 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.051 ms) main debug: input 'a52 ' 48000 Hz 3F2R/LFE frame=1536 samples/1536 bytes main debug: looking for audio filter module: 1 candidate scaletempo debug: format: 48000 rate, 2 nch, 4 bps, fl32 scaletempo debug: params: 30 stride, 0.200 overlap, 14 search scaletempo debug: 1.000 scale, 1440.000 stride_in, 1440 stride_out, 1152 standing, 288 overlap, 672 search, 2400 queue, fl32 mode main debug: using audio filter module "scaletempo" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.084 ms - Total 0.084 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.084 ms) main debug: filter(s) 'a52 '->'f32l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz 3F2R/LFE->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 14 candidates main debug: using audio filter module "a52tofloat32" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.279 ms - Total 0.279 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.279 ms) main debug: conversion pipeline completed main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'f32l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: conversion pipeline completed main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'f32l' 52800 Hz->48000 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 14 candidates main debug: using audio filter module "samplerate" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.154 ms - Total 0.154 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.154 ms) main debug: conversion pipeline completed main debug: End of audio preroll avcodec debug: D3dCreateDevice succeed avcodec debug: OurDirect3DCreateDeviceManager9 Success! avcodec info: obtained IDirect3DDeviceManager9 avcodec info: DXVA2CreateVideoService Success! avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-2 inverse discrete cosine transform' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-2 & MPEG-1 variable-length decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-2 variable-length decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-1 variable-length decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'VC-1 variable-length decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'VC-1 variable-length decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'VC-1 inverse discrete cosine transform' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'Windows Media Video 9 IDCT' is supported by hardware avcodec warning: - Unknown GUID = 32FCFE3F-de46-4a49-XXXX avcodec debug: - 'H.264 variable-length decoder, no film grain technology' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-4 Part 2 variable-length decoder, Simple Profile' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-4 Part 2 variable-length decoder, Simple&Advanced Profile, no GMC' is supported by hardware avcodec debug: - 'MPEG-4 Part 2 nVidia bitstream decoder' is supported by hardware avcodec warning: - Unknown GUID = B194EB52-19a0-41f0-XXXX avcodec debug: Trying to use 'H.264 variable-length decoder, no film grain technology' as input avcodec debug: NV12 is supported for output avcodec debug: Using 'H.264 variable-length decoder, no film grain technology' to decode to 'NV12' avcodec debug: DxCreateVideoDecoder id 28 1280x720 avcodec debug: IDirectXVideoAccelerationService_CreateSurface succeed with 17 surfaces (1280x720) avcodec debug: we got 2 decoder configurations avcodec debug: configuration[0] ConfigBitstreamRaw 1 avcodec debug: configuration[1] ConfigBitstreamRaw 2 qt4 debug: Title 1 qt4 debug: Chapter: 1 avcodec debug: IDirectXVideoDecoderService_CreateVideoDecoder succeed avcodec info: Using DXVA2 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti , vendor 4318(NVIDIA), device 4608, revision 161) for hardware decoding. main debug: looking for text renderer module: 2 candidates freetype debug: Using Arial as font from file C:\Windows\Fonts\arial.ttf freetype debug: using fontsize: 2 main debug: using text renderer module "freetype" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.128 ms - Total 2.128 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.128 ms) main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 18 candidates swscale debug: 32x32 chroma: YUVA -> 16x16 chroma: RGBA with scaling using Bicubic (good quality) main debug: using video filter2 module "swscale" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.271 ms - Total 0.271 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.271 ms) main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 18 candidates yuvp debug: YUVP to YUVA converter main debug: using video filter2 module "yuvp" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.068 ms - Total 0.068 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.068 ms) main debug: Deinterlacing available main debug: deinterlace 0, mode blend, is_needed 0 main debug: Opening vout display wrapper main debug: looking for vout display module: 6 candidates direct3d debug: creating Vout EventThread direct3d debug: DirectXCreateWindow main debug: looking for vout window hwnd module: 2 candidates qt4 debug: requesting video... qt4 debug: Video was requested 0, 0 main debug: using vout window hwnd module "qt4" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 64.654 ms - Total 64.654 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 64.654 ms) direct3d debug: created video sub-window direct3d debug: Vout EventThread running direct3d debug: disabling screen saver main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1296x758 window direct3d warning: trying surface pixel format: YV12 direct3d debug: selected surface pixel format is YV12 direct3d debug: Using D3DTEXF_LINEAR for minification direct3d debug: Using D3DTEXF_LINEAR for magnification direct3d debug: Direct3D scene created successfully direct3d debug: Direct3D device adapter successfully initialized main debug: using vout display module "direct3d" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 87.917 ms - Total 87.917 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 87.917 ms) main debug: original format sz 1280x720, of (0,0), vsz 1280x720, 4cc YV12, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: removing module "freetype" main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1280x720 window main debug: looking for text renderer module: 2 candidates freetype debug: Using Arial as font from file C:\Windows\Fonts\arial.ttf freetype debug: using fontsize: 2 main debug: using text renderer module "freetype" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.823 ms - Total 0.823 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.823 ms) main debug: End of video preroll main debug: Received first picture direct3d debug: Created 230x38 texture for OSD main debug: Post-processing available main debug: Decoder buffering done in 601 ms main warning: PTS is out of range (-9990), dropping buffer main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 16 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 50 ms) main warning: audio output out of sync, adjusting dates (95190 us) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 84 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 119 ms) main warning: not synchronized (95190 us), resampling main warning: buffer too late (94210), up-sampling main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 152 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 185 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 219 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 179 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 212 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 22 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 56 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 90 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 122 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 157 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 190 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 223 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 20 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 54 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 87 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 121 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 154 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 188 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 221 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 26 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 60 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 93 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 127 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 160 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 193 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 226 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 22 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 55 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 90 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 123 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 156 ms) main debug: auto hiding mouse cursor main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 190 ms) main warning: picture is too late to be displayed (missing 223 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 26 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 60 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 93 ms) main debug: incoming request - stopping current input main debug: dying input main debug: control: stopping input main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 127 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 160 ms) main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 195 ms) main debug: dying input main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `h264', 12 PES in FIFO main debug: saving a free vout main debug: reusing provided vout main debug: removing module "a52" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `a52 ', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "a52tofloat32" main debug: removing module "scaletempo" main debug: removing module "samplerate" main debug: removing module "aout_directx" aout_directx debug: closing audio device aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread exiting main debug: removing module "audio_format" main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: releasing audio output main debug: removing module "mkv" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES mkv debug: Stopping the UI Hook main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: dead input main debug: destroying useless vout main debug: removing module "direct3d" direct3d debug: Direct3D scene released successfully qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input main debug: TIMER input launching for 'OnceT.mkv' : 14.999 ms - Total 14.999 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 14.999 ms) direct3d debug: DirectXEventThread terminating direct3d debug: DirectXCloseWindow direct3d debug: WinProc WM_DESTROY qt4 debug: releasing video... qt4 debug: Video is not needed anymore main debug: removing module "freetype" main debug: removing module "yuvp" main debug: removing module "swscale"

nkoriyama
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Postby nkoriyama » 15 Feb 2012 04:02

Is ffmpeg-mt(threading) enabled when ffmpeg-hw(hardware acceleration) is enabled?
According to the log, threaded decoding is disabled but slice thread mode is enabled.
(I saw the source code, and slice thread mode is disabled when ffmpeg-hw is enabled and codec is MPEG/MPEG2.)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

kaefera
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaefera » 15 Feb 2012 09:08

Ah, thank you for bringing it up. After I disabled hardware accelerated decoding the video plays smoothly when limited to 4 threads.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Feb 2012 09:44

Well, the issue seem to not be on Core i7, but in MKV demuxer. It is just more visible on those machines.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kaefera
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaefera » 15 Feb 2012 11:24

Which would explain why I only have issues with MKV files. All other files play fine without any issues even without limiting the threads.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Feb 2012 12:03

Which would explain why I only have issues with MKV files. All other files play fine without any issues even without limiting the threads.
Yep. This was hard to debug, to be honest. We are working on a solution.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC 2.0.0 RC1 is running slow with MKVs

Postby TypX » 17 Feb 2012 09:26

Please all test with the latest nightly build.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Feb 2012 12:47

Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kaefera
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaefera » 17 Feb 2012 14:44

Tested it on my systems and there no longer are any slowdowns when playing MKV files. No entries inside the logs either. Good work! :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Feb 2012 18:16

Great. Topic closed!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”