Problem with fullscreen mode--VLC 0.9.4 on Vista SP1

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aerotive
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Problem with fullscreen mode--VLC 0.9.4 on Vista SP1

Postby aerotive » 30 Oct 2008 20:54

When I use VLC in fullscreen mode it doesn't properly stay on top of other programs--specifically Winamp and Vista's taskbar. I've provided
a screenshot here to illustrate this:

I've been having this same problem since I switched over to Vista--using a 2006-era version of VLC with Vista non-SP1 had the same problem.

This does not happen when using other video programs, such as BSplayer and Windows Media Player, in fullscreen mode.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks much

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Problem with fullscreen mode--VLC 0.9.4 on Vista SP1

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Oct 2008 08:36

Yes, don't tell your taskbar to be over everything :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

manwe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manwe » 31 Oct 2008 09:57

I have similar problem: all works fine but every 20minutes or so, task bar pops up on top. Than i put video on top (by clicking on it) and it's fine for another 10-20minutes. Than the same routine again. Any ideas?

aerotive
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aerotive » 31 Oct 2008 13:49

Yes, don't tell your taskbar to be over everything :D
The same taskbar & winamp settings work ok with other video programs when using their fullscreen modes. I figure there's some obscure setting that I'm overlooking
within VLC that'll fix this.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 31 Oct 2008 18:12

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42856&p=161819&hil ... ar#p161814
few tips there. There is something "wrong" in VLC windows creation, but I cannot repeat these issues on my Vista so I really cannot debug this.

aerotive
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aerotive » 02 Nov 2008 21:12

Thanks. I'll try some of the suggestions in that thread, and post again here with results.

EDIT: I tried all of the relevant suggestions without success. Turning off desktop composition in Vista' compatibility tab fixed the problem but caused two others--it disabled
Aero and caused weird problems with VLC's fullscreen interface. Specifically, VLC's fullscreen UI was way too small and was shifted towards the middle of the screen.

Ivo007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ivo007 » 19 Nov 2008 12:11

have the same problem on Vista SP1 x32 and x64 systems, running VLC 0.9.6.
Although it only appears when I change the DPI Scaling ( under Control Panel\Personalization -> left nav bar "Adjust font size DPI") to Large (120 DPI), Custom 150% (144DPI) or 200% (192DPI).
Cause I have my media PC connected to a 46" LCD TV with 1920x1080, I have to use at least a 150% scaling, else the fonts are too small.
If I change the Scaling to Default (96DPI), VLC works fine as usual, I just have to stand in front of the TV to be able to read and pick a file :-)
Hope that helps with the troubleshooting.
Cheers

enlight
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enlight » 21 Mar 2009 23:34

have the same problem on Vista SP1 x32 and x64 systems, running VLC 0.9.6.
Although it only appears when I change the DPI Scaling ( under Control Panel\Personalization -> left nav bar "Adjust font size DPI") to Large (120 DPI), Custom 150% (144DPI) or 200% (192DPI).
Cause I have my media PC connected to a 46" LCD TV with 1920x1080, I have to use at least a 150% scaling, else the fonts are too small.
If I change the Scaling to Default (96DPI), VLC works fine as usual, I just have to stand in front of the TV to be able to read and pick a file :-)
Hope that helps with the troubleshooting.
Cheers

That did help, thanks. I had been trying to figure this out and couldn't find a solution, probably all over the place and I am going to look foolish signing up for the forum just to post a solution I found playing around... but anyway "Ivo007"s DPI comment helped me (across the room, large flat screen, high DPI to be able to see fonts, same situation I am in), ok, back to the point... I got it squared away. Rather simple, maybe it will work for you... basically go to vlc.exe compatibility tab and check the Disable DPI scaling. After that, it worked like it always had before installing vista 64 a few days ago... I tried to get used to 'taskbar not on top of other windows' thing... but my OCD was going crazy. :) so, I hope that helps. I wonder if the VLC team could build into their installer to check windows DPI during setup, and if it is set above norm to disable it automatically (default)... and maybe checkbox in prefs to enable it for whatever reason if someone wants it... now that I think about it, you guys already probably have it in there and I just didn't see it. :)

so short story for newbies like me:
1. close VLC if you have it running.
2. go to folder where VLC is installed (something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC )
3. Right click vlc.exe and choose properties
4. click Compatibility tab
5. click the checkbox next to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
6. click OK and go test it.

Hope this helps someone out.

shtrf001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shtrf001 » 21 Apr 2009 18:10

I have the same problem...but I'm running Windows XP SP3.
I try to look for the DPI settings but I can't find it in the properties of the VLC.exe.
Can someone help me?
(VLC version 0.9.8a)

NicCompEng
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NicCompEng » 24 Jun 2009 04:15

Another way to rid yourself of this extremely annoying bug, do this:

When choosing your DPI setting, make sure you select the "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" option under the custom DPI dialog. This will globally fix this problem rather than having to set the compatibility mode for each executable that this bug affects, as it does many.

Well, I hope this helps, because I searched the internet for weeks attempting to fix this problem.

eeooeoe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eeooeoe » 30 May 2010 23:28

Hi Guys,

MY SOLUTION
Simply check the option "auto-hide the taskbar" inside taskbare properties, don't know why it works but it works.

STEPS: RIght-click on taskbar >>> click "properties" >>> check option "auto-hide the taskbar"

hOPE it helps.

StopRegisters
New Cone
New Cone

Postby StopRegisters » 12 Feb 2012 10:51

How to fix:

Fullscreen -> If Windows taskbar is still up, click somewhere blank on your taskbar (without exiting full screen) -> click back on the player menu in VLC (be careful not to click the timeline or you'll jump to that spot in your vid).

This fixes it 100% of the time for me. It's an annoying gotcha, but the solution works.

Btw, this is a "focus" problem for the VLC team.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Feb 2012 11:50

Yep. Hard to fix though...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”