Issues getting VLC to work

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Issues getting VLC to work

Postby Abraxxes » 25 Jan 2012 21:57

I recently downloaded VLC onto my computer, version 1.1.11 or whatever the newest version is, and I've been having a lot of issues getting media to load. I'm not sure if its all media, currently I've just been trying to watch Anime from a .mkv file format and it won't open the file. For example, when you just open VLC you get the basic blank screen, black background with the cone in the center, when I then open the file to watch my anime it'll say that it's open in the bottom left hand corner, but the screen remains black with the cone in the center. I have found that if I simply close it, end the process in my task manager, and re-open it it will eventually work after the 5th attempt or so if I'm lucky, but this is still incredibly annoying. I have noticed that while I am in the task manager, the cpu usage for VLC is skyrocketing to 25-30% when it malfunctions, whereas when I'm actually watching a working anime I'm barely at 2-3%. Would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this, thanks in advance!

Windows 7 64-bit

Dual monitors, however I only open VLC on the main one.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: Issues getting VLC to work

Postby TypX » 26 Jan 2012 11:46

For mkv playing I suggest you to try vlc 2.0-rc1 from http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D
You may also want to check if the preload-local-dir option is checked in tools->preferences show setting=all input/codecs->demux->matroska
If it's checked and your file is in a directory with many mkvs uncheck it, save and restart vlc.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 31 Jan 2012 18:42

Well if you get the latest ones don't uncheck it, it will only look for other mkv files if your file ask for it.

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 03 Feb 2012 13:26

I downloaded it and it worked fine for a little while, like while I watched a few episodes of Naruto for instance to get caught back up on it so I thought it was working. However, when I went to other animes, Fairy Tail / lesser known ones, its giving me a similar issue. It starts off saying 0.00 playing and then that abruptly disappears back to -.-- displaying that I have nothing open. This version doesn't make my CPU drastically climb to 25%+ per application though, so its mildly better in that sense.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 03 Feb 2012 14:08

Can you upload or give the source of your files so I can debug it?

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 06 Feb 2012 02:53

Here is the source of one of the files I'm downloading. The files I tried from here specifically are [HorribleSubs] Fairy Tail - 51[480].mkv and [Ryugan] Fairy Tail - 51 [720] (4th one down). As of right now I have the vlc-2.1.0-20120203-0008/ version of VLC installed that you linked to me in your prior post.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 06 Feb 2012 23:29

For now I tested the Ryugan one and it played without problem. About when does it fail? Can you share the verbose logs? (tools->messages set verbosity to 2 then start playback until you have the problem)... I'll test HorribleSubs one when I have more time.

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 07 Feb 2012 00:32

It fails immediately when I open the file, here is the verbose logs from when I opened up the Ryugan one.

Code: Select all

main debug: processing request item: [Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: resyncing on [Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv main debug: [Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv is at 0 main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for '[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv' main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\Abraxxes\AppData\Local\Temp' main debug: `file:///C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv' gives access `file' demux `' path `/C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv' main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv' file='C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads\[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 3 candidates main debug: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded main debug: creating access 'file' location='/C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv', path='C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads\[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv' main debug: looking for access module: 3 candidates filesystem debug: opening file `C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads\[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv' main debug: using access module "filesystem" main debug: Using stream method for AStream* main debug: starting pre-buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 37037 KiB/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 4 candidates main debug: no stream_filter module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv' file='C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads\[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv' main debug: looking for demux module: 55 candidates mkv error: cannot find KaxSegment or missing mandatory KaxInfo mkv debug: Stopping the UI Hook ts debug: TS module discarded (lost sync) mod debug: MOD validation failed (ext=mkv) lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Abraxxes\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\playlist lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\anevia_streams.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\anevia_streams.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\anevia_xml.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\anevia_xml.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\appletrailers.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\appletrailers.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\bbc_co_uk.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\bbc_co_uk.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\break.lua qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\break.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\canalplus.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\canalplus.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\cue.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\cue.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\dailymotion.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\dailymotion.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\extreme.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\france2.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\france2.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\googlevideo.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\googlevideo.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\jamendo.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\jamendo.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\joox.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\joox.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\katsomo.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\katsomo.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\koreus.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\koreus.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\lelombrik.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\lelombrik.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\megavideo.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\megavideo.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\metacafe.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\metacafe.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\metachannels.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\metachannels.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\mpora.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\mpora.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\pinkbike.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\pinkbike.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\pluzz.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\rockbox_fm_presets.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\rockbox_fm_presets.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\vimeo.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\vimeo.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube_homepage.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\youtube_homepage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\playlist\zapiks.luac avcodec debug: trying url: C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads\[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv avcodec debug: couldn't guess format vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file ps warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS stream, continuing anyway main debug: using demux module "ps" main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\Users\Abraxxes\Downloads main debug: looking for meta reader module: 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Abraxxes\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.lua lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac main debug: no meta reader module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: `file:///C:/Users/Abraxxes/Downloads/%5BRyugan%5D_Fairy_Tail_-_51_%5B720p%5D_%5B0E7470FD%5D.mkv' successfully opened ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... main debug: selecting program id=0 main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start ps warning: found sync code packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start packetizer_mpegvideo debug: waiting for sequence start main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates main debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... mpeg_audio debug: waiting for PTS ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xf1 format unknown ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xf0 format unknown ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xf8 format unknown ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xfb format unknown ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: looking for decoder module: 30 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering avcodec debug: allowing 9 thread(s) for decoding avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) started avcodec debug: using slice thread mode with 9 threads main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo" ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xfc format unknown ps debug: force SCR: 86504906634 main debug: Buffering 0% ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps debug: es id=0xf7 format unknown ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync... ps warning: found sync code main debug: EOF reached main debug: Stream buffering done (0 ms in 0 ms) main debug: Decoder buffering done in 0 ms main debug: finished input main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "mpeg_audio" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpga', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "avcodec" avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (MPEG-1/2 Video) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mpgv', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "packetizer_mpegvideo" main debug: removing module "ps" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input main debug: Destroying the input for '[Ryugan]_Fairy_Tail_-_51_[720p]_[0E7470FD].mkv'

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 07 Feb 2012 15:48

"mkv error: cannot find KaxSegment or missing mandatory KaxInfo" This is bad...
Your file may be corrupted even though 2 in a row is very unlikely.
I took the file from Ryugan's torrent and it worked. I think I'll have to create an account on this site to get the files and test...

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 07 Feb 2012 20:51

Its not just these 2, its happened with just about every .mkv I've downloaded over the past month, which is more than I'm willing to go back and count. I'll check others that I'm getting this issue with to see if I'm getting that error from them as well. Lately I've been watching my anime through a different player, and it didn't have any issues playing the file.

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 07 Feb 2012 21:26

The following videos are receiving this error that I have watched through VLC after making my original post:

Kuroshitsuji II - All of the 24 episodes I have downloaded except 01, 02, 05, and 23. I had previously watched these all through VLC 1.1.11, admittedly with a few headaches from crashes etc. This time around only those 4 were willing to play, after two attempts on each before I said screw it. I was also able to play all of them in Media Player Classic with no errors etc., just would prefer not to use that player.

Fairy Tail - Episodes 51-56 and 58 all had this error as well. Again I was able to watch these all just fine through Media Player Classic.

11 Eyes - Episode 1 and 2. Yet again I was able to watch these all just fine through MPC . . .

I have since switched to watching MPC mainly, simply because it gives me fewer issues, but I'm sure plenty of my other shows would get the same error.

*Edit: The above videos were all downloaded from the same site. If you're thinking its an uploader problem, I would disagree. I switch between uploaders as to whichever has the better quality for the individual episode, and the same people don't upload for each anime. Out of all the ones I listed having issues with, there were about 10 different people uploading them.

**Edit: I tried redownloading the Ryugan Episode 51 of Fairy Tail considering you said it had worked. I got the same error message as before.

***Edit: Upon redownloading VLC 1.1.11 again, I was able to play a lot of the files that I mentioned as unplayable in the above, including episode 51. The only issue there is it was a 50:50 shot at best if it would work and the 50% of the time it didn't it would bump my CPU usage up to 25% and the only way to stop it was the physically end the process in my Task Manager. For some reason when I tried debugging this it just crashed instead, ended up uninstalling it and downloading the version mentioned below.

****Edit: Upon downloading a new version of the Nightly Builds, the very top one, vlc-2.0.0-rc1-20120208-0203-win32, I am now getting two error messages when I debug. They are

Code: Select all

mkv error: cannot find KaxSegment or missing mandatory KaxInfo main error: option sub-delay does not exist

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 08 Feb 2012 15:38

Alright I'll dl them and test, the demux has been through a lot of changes this last monthes and is far to be error prone, we are working on fixing that.
My first comment came from the fact that people already complained that taking anime from this site crashed and that re-downloading them fixed it (and the fact I watch a lot of anime with vlc without any problem when getting them with torrents given by the fansubbers). Now if it's systematical and the files can be read by other players, then it is a vlc bug and has to be fixed asap. I'll check that tonight and update this thread.

Thanks for reporting it really helps and I hope when the patch is found and applied we can count on you to test.

Now enough of the propaganda... did you take the 32 bit version or the 64 bits version of the nightly builds?

**edit** Because I only tested on windows with the 32 bits version and it may be a contrib problem.

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 08 Feb 2012 19:46

I was using the 32 bit versions of the nightly builds, I just checked the most recent 64 bit version and had the same issue with the two episodes I tried testing it on. I also attempted messing with the demux after looking at a different post I found through google. Sadly, that didn't work at all so I went back and reset it to normal.

**Edit: Thought I'd make a comment, just downloaded Zoom Player to see how it works. It plays all the files I'm currently unable to play via VLC as well. I did download a codec along with my downloads of Zoom Player and WMPC which I believe is the reason they're working, is there anyway to implement that codec for VLC?

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 08 Feb 2012 23:47

Let's share the guilt with the uploader, the file is slightly truncated (not in a part that you can see but it's enough to make some values in the file wrong). The bug itself is my very own fault, the patch has been sent and applied. It was not a codec issue just a bad value given to a function.

Could you please test with tomorrows nightly builds? (vlc-2.1.0-20120209-whatever) I know it fixes the Ryugan's and HorribleSubs' fairy tails 51 but if you can test with the files you mentionned earlier I'd really like your feedback on them.

Abraxxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abraxxes » 09 Feb 2012 13:43

I just tried the newest 64-bit version, vlc-2.1.0-git-20120209-0402-win64, and it worked flawlessly for the 40 or so anime I tried. As in, they started, I let them play for 20s before switching over to a different one. I'll be sure to test out the 32-bit version when I get home later tonight. Thanks for the update / help. ^^

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Feb 2012 13:53

Thanks for tracking the bug.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 09 Feb 2012 14:25

Thank you for reporting, testing and therefore helping us to improve vlc, if you find any new problem please let us know.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”