Exact steps to enable VLC logging

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chrisi22
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Exact steps to enable VLC logging

Postby Chrisi22 » 25 Jan 2012 20:32

Using VLC 1.1.11 in Vista x64 SP2
I searched & read what I could piece together on enabling logging / debugging logging. It's not quite as straight forward in VLC as some other apps.

1) Is logging only available PER video / audio file, or can it be turned on indefinitely?

2) What are exact steps to enable logging? I tried several methods before stumbling on getting it to work - not even sure what combination of settings did the trick.
SEEMED that clicking View>Add Interface>Debug Logging was partly what finally caused VLC to create a log file w/ useful contents, though I didn't find those instructions searching on the forum.

3) What is purpose of Tools>Messages screen, w/ Verbosity & filter entries? Even when a log file (vlc-log.txt) is created w/ contents, I've never seen anything show up in Messages window.

4) What is purpose of Preferences>Advanced>Logging - "File Logging" screen? Yes, you can browse to an existing vlc-log.txt file, but it only seems to be saving the file you browse to... (where??).
There is no "enable logging" here - in my install, though I've seen references in posts to enabling it from this screen.
It doesn't let you view / alter the file. It's purpose seems unclear - certainly diff than anything I've seen.

There are references in VLC documentation on Videolan's site that reference a "crash dump" file: http://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs
You can send along the last VLC crash log. The file is called Crashdump.
crashdump is the file VLC's Windows builds generate when VLC crashes. It is stored to %appdata%\vlc folder...
You can check the content of crashdump file with any text editor.
Even when VLC crashes, I don't find a crashdump file in %appdata%\vlc or VLC program files folder.
Thanks.

b-frame
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Exact steps to enable VLC logging

Postby b-frame » 25 Jan 2012 21:06

If I want a log, I do the following:
Menu->Tools->Messages. Set Verbosity to 2. Hit Play and see how the log is written into the Messages window. If you wanna have it as a file, click "Save as...".

It is important to mention that you only get the full log when the Messages window is already open BEFORE you start playing something. Concerning the crashdump-file, make sure you copy it directly after VLC crashed. It might be that VLC deletes the file when you start it again.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Jan 2012 20:04

File logging is broken under Windows. But crash dumps should be generated.

MrX1980
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MrX1980 » 17 Mar 2013 09:04

Hello,is the logging still broken with win32 nightly (2.0.6) builds ?
My crash dumps are (also) always empty :-(
The "Messages" window is not usefull for startup crashes.
So I cannot log/report my startup crashes.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Mar 2013 14:54

Logging should not be broken.
Some crashes screw up the stacks and therefore cannot be filled.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”