Streaming from PC to TV

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
voki
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming from PC to TV

Postby voki » 10 Oct 2010 12:44

Hi,

I've recently bought the Sony Bravia NX700 46'. I've setup Windows Media Player to stream .avi, divx files to the TV via WiFi. However, the quality is not that great. I am wondering if VLC allows me to do the same with better quality?

If so, please help step by step. I've searched around, but I can't seem to work out how to get VLC to stream to my TV. I've tried to follow this link here, but it seems to be out of date. http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... _Streaming

Thanks heaps
Voki

benway
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Streaming from PC to TV

Postby benway » 08 Jan 2012 07:36

I would also love to know how to stream / transcode broadcast videos and movies wirelessly / remotely from VLC to my Sony Bravia, but some general directions about how to do this with most digital televisions would also be very welcome.
All the articles I can find on this seem to be dated years ago, and I don't seem to be even able to make a start on how to do this from VLC itself.

Is it possible to set up a VLC Network and include certain devices [such as a digital tv] on it?
This would be great.

Thanks for any help, and best regards

-Carl.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Jan 2012 14:48

Current VLC releases cannot act as DLNA server. So you cannot stream videos from VLC to TV with most television. Newer ones with build-in browsers might work if the browser can play Flash or HTML5 video.

But anyway, the quality of DLNA streaming will always be below what you expect if you transcode on the fly.

benway
New Cone
New Cone

Postby benway » 10 Jan 2012 03:09

Fair enough! Thanks for the answer, I'd been trying to set up a feature that wasn't there! (: You've saved me another couple of hours of research and fiddling. Cheers a million!

madison
New Cone
New Cone

Postby madison » 23 Feb 2012 05:08

Like others I have been looking for a DLNA media server that can play all formats and transcode to my Sony Bravia KDL Z5500 (which only plays MPEG 2 & 4) from my Windows 7 PC over a wired network.
Is there plans to develop a VLC DNLA server in the near future?

Cheers

Richard

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Feb 2012 17:23

I haven't seen any progress in that. DLNA has so many design flaws, that I guess many people want to avoid writing DLNA server because of those issues
http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?si ... d=39090941

madison
New Cone
New Cone

Postby madison » 23 Feb 2012 22:29

Thank you for your response, I now understand the issues you are faced with and why WMP12 and other Media servers have so many issues.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”