Can VLC downgrade video for netbooks?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kbone213
New Cone
New Cone

Can VLC downgrade video for netbooks?

Postby kbone213 » 02 Dec 2011 04:51

I'm running the Acer Aspire One AOD-257 which has the intel Atom N570 Full listing here on the netbook and as you can probably guess, it lags horribly on 720p videos.

Fortunately, I have a 2GB stick of ram to replace the 1GB in the mail. So that will help.

Unfortunately, even though 720p is above the maximum resolution that the screen can display, it is easier to find many things in 720p rather than a lower quality (like TV Shows).

So with that, I have to ask; Does VLC have an option somewhere to downgrade the video before it shows it to prevent me from having to actually convert the video to lower quality?

Any help is appreciated.

kbone213
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Can VLC downgrade video for netbooks?

Postby kbone213 » 02 Dec 2011 07:23

Looks like with CoreAVC, FFDShow, and the regular WMP plays it just fine. VLC still seems to have spikes in the video after the codecs were installed. I still wish I can use VLC so if anyone thinks of something I would love to hear it.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: Can VLC downgrade video for netbooks?

Postby TypX » 02 Dec 2011 13:41

vlc don't use external codec packs. You can try to enable GPU acceleration if available, save the preferences, restart vlc and test.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”