Always On Top not working "enough"?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
clearstreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Always On Top not working "enough"?

Postby clearstreamer » 24 Nov 2011 21:50

This option seems to be working for some programs only. With Firefox and Word for example (and most others), it doesn't. The minute I click on them, VLC goes in the background. Is this normal? I'd really like this option to not allow VLC to go the background so easily. May be I miss sth. in the advanced options. :?:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Always On Top not working "enough"?

Postby VLC_help » 25 Nov 2011 18:50

Always on Top only works with videos since it is video window related in VLC 1.1.x and earlier.

clearstreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clearstreamer » 27 Nov 2011 16:58

Thanks. Yes, I mean when playing video files, not audio. It doesn't work. Unless you meant it only works with other video players windows', but that would be a bit limiting. Currently, I can't use Firefox or Word and watch VLC in a smaller window, since when you use these programs (and most others), VLC will not stay in the foreground. Usually when an application has an "always on top" version, it always stays on top, unless there's another application with a similar "on top" option enabled too (usually media players). VLC will only stay always on top, if an extra application is installed, like PoweMenu or Actual Window Manager. (they can both enforce "always on top")

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Nov 2011 15:56

Does it work any better if you separate video window from GUI?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.1 ... _window.3F

clearstreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clearstreamer » 29 Nov 2011 12:10

Thanks, with this option always on top works fine, although it's a bit inelegant to have two open windows. Maybe an "always start gui minimized/to tray" option could improve this.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”