How does VLC Player know how long it's streaming?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Animedude5555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How does VLC Player know how long it's streaming?

Postby Animedude5555 » 04 Aug 2011 07:23

Ok I go ctrl+s to stream and select directshow for source then stream the audio from my computer. Now the problem is what happens next. It remembers how long the stream has been going, but then when I shut down VLC player, and after a couple minutes start VLC back up again and start streaming again, guess what it tells me. It displays not the total time since stream start this time, but rather the total time the stream has been going from the first time PLUS the ammount of time VLC had been closed, meaning there existed in memory some kind of data stream keeping track of the time even after VLC had been closed! I even checked to make sure there wasn't an instance of VLC.exe running invisibly, using the task manager. How do I fix this? It seems only rebooting the computer can reset this internal (and quite persistent) stream "clock". Please help.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: How does VLC Player know how long it's streaming?

Postby VLC_help » 04 Aug 2011 16:36

VLC should forget unsaved settings when it is closed. Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) might reveal more (open it before you start streaming).

Animedude5555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Animedude5555 » 05 Aug 2011 00:52

But it seems to be more than that. It seems that it not only remember's the the last time code it was at from streaming, but actually can figure out how long the program was NOT running, after I close the program, then restart the program, then restart the stream. Because when I leave the program off for 1 minute, and then start it back up and start it streaming again, it adds one minute to the previous total streaming time! How could VLC now how long it wasn't running itself?

Here's what I think is happening. When you start streaming from a directshow source like I was doing with a live sound stream, it has to operate with DShow which is part of the OS to open a DShow stream. When it is stopped streaming (or at least the program is closed) it is supposed to also close the DShow stream. But there's a bug and it doesn't close the stream object in memory. Yes it stops sending it over the internet, but the stream object in memory stays open, and acts like a clock and keeps track of the total time the stream was open (regardless of if VLC is actually running or not). If there is indeed a bug of this nature, please fix it. Thanks in advance.

Animedude5555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Animedude5555 » 05 Aug 2011 03:28

Ok here's the verbose level 2 verbose logs. One is from when the live audio streaming is started. The other is from when it's stopped. I put the log text files into a zip file and uploaded to mediafire. Here's the link to download it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?atdq2zaa4svfqed

At this point maybe the thread should be moved to a "bug fix" section of the forum, as I think there's a bug in here or something.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Aug 2011 18:09

Bugs are handled in this forum. And next time use pastebin for text, it is easier method.

Do you get same messages on second time?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”