dshow:// duplication

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
maitrepiet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

dshow:// duplication

Postby maitrepiet » 30 Jul 2011 16:22

I'm not sure where to post this question, but I'll give it a try here.
I have built a nice application for videorefereeing in fencing.
The application uses VLC to start and stop recording from a HDV camera. As soon as a hit is made, the video is replayed.

This works all nice, BUT ...

Between stopping a first recording and starting a second one, there is at least 1.5 to 2 seconds if I'm using a 1394 HDV camera. If I'm using a HDMI video grabber, it gets even up to 5-10 seconds.
As fencing is a very fast sport, I cannot afford to lose a few seconds of recorded action.

So the solution would be to start the second recording e few seconds before the end of the previous. So I would have 2 recordings where the last seconds of the first are the same as the first of the second.
However, somehow it is impossible to to connect 2 recorders to the same dshow hardware.

Can someone help me with this? Is there a way of duplicating the dshow stream and connect it to 2 independent vlc recorder instances?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: dshow:// duplication

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jul 2011 17:35

You would need two VLC instances if you have two recording devices you want to use simultaneously.

maitrepiet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: dshow:// duplication

Postby maitrepiet » 30 Jul 2011 21:27

Well, I have only 1 recording device: the camera through dshow://
The problem is that I cannot have 2 vlc instances recording simultaneously from the same dshow device. At least not for all devices. It does not work for an AVERMedia HDMI frame grabber.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”