Disabling Multiple Instances.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Boby
New Cone
New Cone

Disabling Multiple Instances.

Postby Boby » 22 Jul 2011 09:44

Hello. I host a Teamspeak 3 server with a music bot plugin. It allows people to send a command to that client and get it to play a youtube link. It supports multiple software.

One being VLC. I am using Windows Server 2008. For some reason the plugin doesnt want to automaticly close the VLC executable when a new link is sent to run.

A fix for this was going to be the "Allow Only one running instance" and "One instance when started from file"

Well for whatever reason it DOESNT work for my situation.

at the end of a day i can easily have 26 different VLC clients running that i have to manualy shut down.

Bit of a pain..

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,
Boby.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Disabling Multiple Instances.

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Jul 2011 14:59

A fix for this was going to be the "Allow Only one running instance" and "One instance when started from file"
Make sure these settings are still active in the Preferences.
Then save again the Preferences, then you MUST exit and restart VLC.

Boby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boby » 23 Jul 2011 10:13

I have made sure they are selected. on multiple occasions. and have restarted VLC MANY times.

Any other suggestions?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jul 2011 17:06

You can add vlc://quit to last playlist item, and it should close VLC when it comes to current item.

Boby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boby » 24 Jul 2011 01:50

Sadly I am not using a playlist. Songs are sent to it to play at random via the TS client. which run in a batch file.

Dont think that will work but i will keep it in mind.

Any other suggestions?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Jul 2011 17:09

You can add vlc://quit to batch file as last entry.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Sam Hobbs » 07 Oct 2011 23:54

I seem to have the same problem. I have both "Allow Only one running instance" and "One instance when started from file" selected. I assume that should limit VLC to just one instance; if I am wrong then I cannot find anything describing those options. I have exited from VLC and even ended my Windows sesseion many times since turning on those options. The checkboxes remain checked but I get multiple insances when I click on a file to play it.

If my problem is not the same as the problem in this thread, then I will be happy to create a new thread. Or if there is any reason I should create new thread, I will.

I am using 1.1.11 of VLC. Previsouly it worked very well; I always got one instance. I am not sure what happened to cause it to open new instances; I don't think it was the update, at least not the only thing. My best guess is that I selected the "Enqueue items to playlist when in one instance mode" and that worked but when I turned it off, I think that is when I began getting multiple instances. I tried turning that option back on but that had no affect.

saunatonttu
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux

Postby saunatonttu » 11 Oct 2011 17:24

I am using 1.1.11 of VLC. Previsouly it worked very well; I always got one instance. I am not sure what happened to cause it to open new instances; I don't think it was the update, at least not the only thing. My best guess is that I selected the "Enqueue items to playlist when in one instance mode" and that worked but when I turned it off, I think that is when I began getting multiple instances. I tried turning that option back on but that had no affect.
I think it's the update. I just updated to 1.1.11 and started to have the same issue. And I'm using Linux. I also tried turning on and off the "enque when in one instance" option, but it didn't help and the problem appeared before I even touched it. The problem is still present in 1.1.12.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Sam Hobbs » 11 Oct 2011 17:54

It began working for me; I am now getting only one instance as before. I am not sure what I did to fix it; it fixed itself. The only thing I did was to toggle the "Enqueue items to playlist when in one instance mode" but perhaps I did not exit from VLC after turning it back off before concluding that it does not work. probably we must restart VLC for the fix to happen.

smyers63
New Cone
New Cone

Postby smyers63 » 16 Oct 2011 07:48

After having the same problem and checking here on the forum, I ran into another thread which mentioned a VLC process still running after closing the player. That was the problem in my case. As long as the "stuck" process was there, changing the settings made no difference at all. When I killed that VLC process (done with Task Manager or Process Explorer, for example) and tried the player again, operation was back to normal, i.e., double-clicking a file while another was playing started the new file in the same player as expected.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”