VLC stutters on first frame freezes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sirbow2
New Cone
New Cone

VLC stutters on first frame freezes

Postby sirbow2 » 13 Jun 2011 23:03

hi im trying to play an mkv, but it stutters/freezes on the first frame of video and the audio continues. ive tried all the output types (directx, opengl etc), diasbled overlay, system codecs off, still no go. but other videos do play. it may just be mkv's, but i dont know because all the other videos are avi's. im currently using 1.1.0, but it was happening before. i also did a gfx update(ati 4670) a few days ago, but this is the first video ive tried to play since then and i dont think i tried to play one of these mkv's before the gfx update.

here are the specs of the video:

Code: Select all

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28052258/720pmkv.txt
here is a video of the video attempting to play: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28052258/vlc%20 ... -05-26.avi
(it isnt done uploading yet, will be done in 2 minutes. if its not done uploading yet, it will say 404 error)DONE UPing

thanks

sirbow2
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC stutters on first frame freezes

Postby sirbow2 » 13 Jun 2011 23:15

ha i found the solution, google didnt find anything, but here in the forum: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90391
"I just installed ATI Catalyst 11.5 and now when I enable GPU acceleration in the preferences the video playback is broken.

The video flickers between green and the same frames in a loop. Some other videos just show black.

I discovered it when someone else said it was also happening on their machine.

Can other people here with ATI Catalyst 11.5 installed verify this bug?

To enable GPU acceleration: Tools menu -> Preferences -> Input & codecs button -> Enable Use GPU acceleration checkbox
Then play a file with H.264 video."

disabled hw acceleration, now it works, testing the catalysy 11.5b hotfix now

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”