Subtitle streams embedded in avi/divx

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Subtitle streams embedded in avi/divx

Postby solazy » 21 Apr 2011 18:53

Hello,
I got a question concerning Subtitles streams embedded in avi/divx movies.
As you know, when it comes to avi/divx, not all subtitles are external files (like .srt , or .idx/.sub etc...)

Some avi/divx movies include subtitles streams (up to 8 probably) that you can activate (or not) when you watch the movie on your Divx player attached to your TV, or in Vlc.

My question is : why Vlc behaves differently when it faces external subtitles files (.srt or idx/sub) and when it faces those special avi which includes subtitle streams ?

1) When you double click an avi and Vlc finds by itself that an external subtitle file exists (srt or idx/sub) then it activates automatically the subtitle and makes it visible (if idx/sub with many subtitles in it, then Vlc chooses the 1st one)

2) But when you double click an avi and there are no external subtitle files found, then Vlc does...nothing
Why doesn't it check the avi/divx to find internal subtitle streams and make visible the 1st one ?

Because as far as I noticed, Vlc adds those internal subtitle streams in the "Video" => "Subtitle Track" menu
But it always checks "Disable", instead of choosing the 1st one (as it does with external subtitle files)

It would be great if Vlc behaved same in both cases, always making a subtitle visible, no matter this subtitle is found in a separate file or is embedded in the avi/divx :D

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Subtitle streams embedded in avi/divx

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2011 17:44

The subtitle should be on by default even if they are internal ones, is there some short sample file you could share to us?

solazy

Postby solazy » 23 Apr 2011 03:45

Sure I can !
Thanks Vlc_help, for your reply :)

Here is a link of a 10Mb .divx I just prepared, it includes 1 embedded subtitle stream :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5J20UO30

I prepared it with the great free program named AVIAddXSubs
In case you need the original .avi (10Mb) + the original .srt , I can upload them too

As I wrote before, the subtitle is always "disable" in Vlc, with all divx I prepare using AVIAddXSubs
After testing, in case you're sure it has nothing to do with Vlc and AVIAddXSubs creates the issue, I could email the creator of the program, asking him to please come read this topic.

Thanks for your concern.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Apr 2011 15:25

Thanks. Title element of DivX file should contain DefaultSubtitleTrack option that defines the default subtitle track. It seems VLC doesn't respect that element. I will create trac ticket for this later.

solazy

Postby solazy » 23 Apr 2011 15:41

Thanks Vlc_help :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Apr 2011 15:01

solazy

Postby solazy » 25 Apr 2011 10:54

Wow...thanks for having created the trac ticket so quickly !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”