Unticked only one instance but still does not work???

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
swong46
New Cone
New Cone

Unticked only one instance but still does not work???

Postby swong46 » 17 Apr 2011 19:18

Hey guys, I unticked the only one instance box but still cannot have more than one VLC running. I am on win7 64, this happens to my friend aswell.
On my win7 32 I dont have this problem.

I searched and found there are 2 things to untick but cannot find the second one

please help

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Unticked only one instance but still does not work???

Postby solazy » 17 Apr 2011 22:20

Hi swong46,
I had the same problem as yours a few weeks ago (couldn't find how to have more than one Vlc running)

Unticking the "Allow only one instance" box in the simple settings is the first start (that you already did)

Unfortunately (and very sadly) it's not enough, now you got to tick "Show All settings", then in the "Advanced" Tab, you got to UNtick another box named "One instance when started from file" . Don't forget to Save your preferences then quit Vlc : now you'll be able to have more than one Vlc running when you click on several files in Windows Explorer.

In the future, if you want to switch between one and several instances of Vlc, just tick (or untick) this one and only box ("One instance when started from file") in the Advanced settings
Forget the other box ("Allow only one running instance) and keep it unticked undefinitely.

I alerted j-b a few weeks ago and asked him why Vlc interface was so complicated sometimes...he agreed and asked to open a bug track concerning this question, but i'm "soooo lazy" to do that, look at my nickname :D

swong46
New Cone
New Cone

Postby swong46 » 17 Apr 2011 22:28

thanks alot!

alekssmitt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alekssmitt » 13 Jun 2011 13:39

And don't forget unstick the box "Enqueue files when in one instance mode instance" in the same place with "Allow only one running instance" otherwise the problem remains.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”