buttons are unclickable

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

buttons are unclickable

Postby ncolbyt83 » 01 Mar 2011 13:27

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of VLC, and for some reason, all of the buttons in the player window are unclickable. I'm able to play videos, but I can't do anything to control the player once they're running (i.e. pausing, moving the slider, adjusting the play speed, etc.)

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I can fix it? If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

imgandobj
New Cone
New Cone

Re: buttons are unclickable

Postby imgandobj » 02 Mar 2011 04:24

I have the same problem on 2 machines: Win XP and Win 7 64 bit??? I'll be interested in the answer, too.

ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ncolbyt83 » 06 Mar 2011 21:29

After messing around a bit, it seems that running the player in "skinned mode" helps. Is there any way to make it so that VLC runs in skinned mode by default when opening a video file? Right now, I have to open the player in skinned mode first and then go to Open Media > Open File.

orange2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby orange2 » 07 Mar 2011 09:13

After messing around a bit, it seems that running the player in "skinned mode" helps. Is there any way to make it so that VLC runs in skinned mode by default when opening a video file? Right now, I have to open the player in skinned mode first and then go to Open Media > Open File.
"Open your VLC settings and change your interface from native to skins. You can choose your desired skin already there or change it when you are in the skins mode by rightclicking somewhere on the skin and going to Interface>Choose Skin.
VLC needs to be restarted to change to skins mode."

Translation:
1. Launch VLC, click on Tools, then Preferences in the dropdown menu.
2. Click the radio button next to Skins and browse to the location where your downloaded skin has been saved.
(You can save the skin just about anywhere on your computer.)
3. Click on the skin "vlt" file you'd like to use, then click Open.
4. Click Save on the Interface Settings window.
5. Close VLC. The next time you open VLC, the skin will be automatically loaded.

ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ncolbyt83 » 08 Mar 2011 02:54

"Open your VLC settings and change your interface from native to skins. You can choose your desired skin already there or change it when you are in the skins mode by rightclicking somewhere on the skin and going to Interface>Choose Skin.
VLC needs to be restarted to change to skins mode."

Translation:
2. Click the radio button next to Skins and browse to the location where your downloaded skin has been saved.
(You can save the skin just about anywhere on your computer.)
3. Click on the skin "vlt" file you'd like to use, then click Open.
4. Click Save on the Interface Settings window.
5. Close VLC. The next time you open VLC, the skin will be automatically loaded.
Thanks for the reply, but I hit a snag with the very first step...
Launch VLC, click on Tools, then Preferences in the dropdown menu.
As I said in my first post, none of the buttons do anything when I click them, so I'm afraid I can't open Tools. I went to Interface > Preferences via the menu that opens when you right-click anywhere in the player screen, I didn't see the options you mentioned there. Not that it would've mattered; just like on the main player screen, I can't click any of the buttons or check boxes in that menu...or ANY of the right-click menus for that matter. This happens when I'm using the skinned version as well (though the buttons on the main screen work fine there).

orange2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby orange2 » 10 Mar 2011 00:01

Sounds like you have a buggy installation to me.
I would uninstall the version you have and download and a install a new one from the site.
When asked to save your settings and cache, I'd advise saying "no" to be on the safe side.

Here is an image of the Interface Settings window that includes the Skins settings.
It should be accessible from the method you used ... if the Interface icon button on the left works.

ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ncolbyt83 » 10 Mar 2011 06:32

Sounds like you have a buggy installation to me.
I would uninstall the version you have and download and a install a new one from the site.
When asked to save your settings and cache, I'd advise saying "no" to be on the safe side.
I believe the version I downloaded (1.1.7) was from this site. I'll try your method though.

Here is an image of the Interface Settings window that includes the Skins settings.
It should be accessible from the method you used ... if the Interface icon button on the left works.
That's not what my Interface Settings screen looks like...

And even in your screenshot, I'm not seeing the "radio button" you mentioned.

AirenBunte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AirenBunte » 10 Mar 2011 20:45

Hi, I have the same problem of unclickable but it happened only for one video. I can play all other video without having any problem but in this specific video I am facing this problem. Can anyone tell me what the problem is. Is it happening for the file or player? However, my file type is avi.

orange2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby orange2 » 10 Mar 2011 21:48

Yeah. I've got an older version of VLC.

On your "Interface Settings" window there is a "Use custom skin" radio button.
Just click on thaat radio button and then click on the "Choose" button to navigate to the "Skin resource file."
Then follow the instructions above.

AirenBunte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AirenBunte » 15 Mar 2011 20:07

Yeah. I've got an older version of VLC.

On your "Interface Settings" window there is a "Use custom skin" radio button.
Just click on thaat radio button and then click on the "Choose" button to navigate to the "Skin resource file."
Then follow the instructions above.
Its been working. Thanks for your help.

GeoNomad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GeoNomad » 15 Mar 2011 22:56

Perhaps for users who can't click on anything it would be better to tell them how to access the skins without clicking...
Use Alt-T to access the Tools menu - P for Prefrences

and so on.

That said.

Thank you. It works great for me. I have been trying to use VLC on W7 with the Wacom Graphire tablet and this resolves the issue with mouse clicks not working.

Peter

ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ncolbyt83 » 16 Mar 2011 03:53

Perhaps for users who can't click on anything it would be better to tell them how to access the skins without clicking...
Use Alt-T to access the Tools menu - P for Prefrences

and so on.
Thanks, but I can't click on anything in the Preference menu either :?
That said.

Thank you. It works great for me. I have been trying to use VLC on W7 with the Wacom Graphire tablet and this resolves the issue with mouse clicks not working.

Peter
I'm also using a Wacom drawing tablet (and mouse), so maybe that's the problem...

GeoNomad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GeoNomad » 16 Mar 2011 14:00

I'm also using a Wacom drawing tablet (and mouse), so maybe that's the problem...
Use the pen to click. It does work. Once you have changed skins, the mouse will work, too.

Peter

ncolbyt83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ncolbyt83 » 16 Mar 2011 18:17

Okay, I got VLC set up to run in skinned mode by default, so the mouse works in the player window now. However, I'm still having problems with it not working in the menus. I guess I'll just use the pen if I need to change any of the settings :?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”