Program freezes if video was playing full screen

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Program freezes if video was playing full screen

Postby TigerNightmare » 14 Jan 2011 13:32

If I remember right, the first two conditions are right but the last one isn't. I'm pretty sure it will freeze whether it has focus or not. I can't really test anymore unless I downgrade. Try using a recent nightly build.
My specs:
Windows7 Professional 64bit SP1
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20 GHz(6 cores)
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

PetterJanssen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PetterJanssen » 18 Jan 2011 13:20

I tested that, and I just repeated my test now:

Whenever I load a video, make it play full screen, go towards the very end of the video and ALT+tab a small window in front of it (i.e. making VLC lose focus), when the video ends, the player freezes in a full screen state. This does not happen when the video ends while it has focus. I'm using 1.1.5 final.

Can you test this using your more recent version of VLC?

Also, anyone else who cares to test this for me? It might be the clue to what's actually wrong in VLC's code, and it might help this getting resolved once and for all.

froodle59
New Cone
New Cone

Postby froodle59 » 19 Jan 2011 20:53

Problem still not solved in 1.1,5.
System Windows Xp Sp3 incl. latest updates 19.1.2010) Graphiccard Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT incl latest drivers, processor AMD x64 X2 4200,Memory :
GeIL CL25-4-4DDR 400, 1GB
My Observation. If I boot my Computer and start VLC it works fine using full screen mode up to 2 - 3 hours playing avi files without any distortion. Then suddenly the picture freeses but audio keeps playing. At that point it is impossible to end the VLC regular. The VLC can only be terminated by using the Taskmanager killing the process. Restarting the VLC with the film causes either within seconds up to 5 Minutes the same crash.
IF I hard shutdown my computer (unplugging the computer from 230V) and restart the computer and start VLC again it takes another 2 - 3 hours until it reaches its next freeze. I have Checked the temperatur of mygraphic card but that is absolutely in acceptable limits (56°C). Memtest X86 ist Ok
I have tried altering the settings by not using GPU Accelleration (no success), using different access modules (standard or FFmpeg access or directshow input acces) no success, had my PC Power Profile switched to maximum (Desktop), no success. I would hate to use another Player.

I hope someone of you is able to turn my VLC into a working mode. Help needed !

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 20 Jan 2011 04:00

I have my TV hooked up as a secondary monitor where VLC usually is and am almost always working in another window on my primary monitor when VLC is playing. Currently using the 1.2 trunk from the 14th. I just finished watching a two hour movie and the file ended without incident while I was playing spider solitaire. I have other weird issues, but no more full screen freezes from video files ending, opening new video files during playback, nothing. It's completely gone.
My specs:
Windows7 Professional 64bit SP1
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20 GHz(6 cores)
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

yslem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yslem » 30 Jan 2011 08:29

Hey All,

Just new to forums but wanted to express my displeasure. Not sure why VLC doesn't correct the "full screen" problem as I have experienced the same as you guys above. You would think they would make this a top priority since their new "upgraded" version in 1.1.5 is worse than 0.8.0. I have been trying to use VLC to view movies on Peppermint Linux and Crunchbang and under both distros movies have frozen in full screen and I have had to reboot the entire OS. Hopefully they actually look at their forums and take the feedback onboard!?!

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 30 Jan 2011 23:06

still present in 1.1.6

seeyouaunty
New Cone
New Cone

Postby seeyouaunty » 06 Feb 2011 09:42

I've had the same problem for a while, really annoying. Just tried the latest 1.1.7 and it still freezes same as before.

jompa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jompa » 06 Feb 2011 13:54

Hi. I have the same problem. I have gone trough alot of versions and its still there. I have removed the vlc player 10 times, is it a year now? This is really annoying. :S
I just wanted to say that, the error only happens in my second monitor (the tv). Not when i watch it on my computer screen. And i get it more on wmv files, then other types of files. When it freezes, the player freez and a a black window frame appared. The only way get rid of the black window is to go to windows taskmanager and end task the vlc player. And it only vlc player that have this problem, other players works fine.
Thanks for the vlc player, it the best player out there and i would not want to use an other player.

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 08 Feb 2011 23:29

still present in 1.1.7

Zivan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zivan » 09 Feb 2011 19:11

Same problem - Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (driver 266.58), Windows XP Pro SP3, 2x external LCD (19" + 22").

Fullscreen, no focus and VLC 1.1.7 freeze.

gadjo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gadjo » 18 Feb 2011 14:14

hi, same problem here,freeze on end of clip when full screen. on win xp, dual screen setup, nvidia 7600gt.

PetterJanssen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PetterJanssen » 24 Mar 2011 22:19

Right now I just installed 1.1.8.

I also did the test: I opened an episode of my favorite series in avi-format in VLC, skipped right to the end, alt-tabbed an explorer file browser window in front of it (so that VLC loses focus) and BAM, it freezes again.

Conclusion: still not fixed.

VLC-team, can you please fix this? Something is broken and makes VLC freeze in a maximized state whenever the video ends while NOT having focus.

If you don't have enough information or if you can't reproduce this bug, please inform us and inquire for more information and test results.

Is this bug even filed? I'll look into it.

Kedrigern
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kedrigern » 20 May 2011 13:36

This workaround really works for me: switch to "Fullscreen Interface F11" mode before going to "real" fullscreen.
This workaround, however it looks impossible, worked also for me !!!

I was experiencing this very anoying problem, but now it seems ok ...just press F11 before double clicking screen to go fullscreen. Tried it successfully on about 20 vids that caused vlc to crash upon fullscreen ending, didn't have any crash ending since F11 pressed previously . Still no clue what could be responsible for this though...

EDIT:
My HW&SW specs: Intel Core2duo, Nvidia M9650 GT, 4GB RAM, Realtek HD Audio, Win XP sp3, VLC 1.1.9 the Luggage

EDIT2: Yes the bug was still present at this version of VLC - 1.1.9

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 May 2011 15:20

didn't have any crash ending since F11 pressed previously
If you can replicate the crash (so that vlc.exe closes down) and know how to use gdb, you could provide us much needed backtraces.

Kedrigern
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kedrigern » 22 Jun 2011 21:52

Problem solved!
I can't say precisely what was the right step to solvce vlc crashing problem because I was solving something else and this came up just like very pleasant bonus. ...I cleaned thoroughly the registry (used jv16 power tools) and reinstalled video drivers and the problem was gone, I even did NOT reinstall vlc !! Try it as well, worked for me.. gl

..sorry I can't replicate the problem any more :-(

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 16 Jul 2011 00:56

didn't have any crash ending since F11 pressed previously
If you can replicate the crash (so that vlc.exe closes down) and know how to use gdb, you could provide us much needed backtraces.
Still present in 1.1.11
I don't know how to use GDB, but this is all I managed to get.

(screenshot is from earlier crash, but it ALWAYS crashes at the same line)

edit: ok scratch the always part, in 1.1.11 he continues after that, but never crashes at the same point anymore.
szAppName : vlc.exe szAppVer : 1.1.11.0 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000
When I click on more details, I get this.
C:\DOCUME~1\preske\LOCALS~1\Temp\WEReb33.dir00\vlc.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\preske\LOCALS~1\Temp\WEReb33.dir00\appcompat.txt
When looking at the temp-folder, there are 4 files.
vlc.exe.mdmp
vlc.exe.hdmp
manifest.txt
appcompat.txt
If you want, I can upload them somewhere and give you the link.

Tried pasting the .txt files, but they were too large.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jul 2011 13:35

gdb logs are only useful ones. And one has to use VLC debug versions to get easy to read output.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”