Mouse cursor does not hide in fullscreen (1.1.2)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Raznarukus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Mouse cursor does not hide in fullscreen (1.1.2)

Postby Raznarukus » 24 Jan 2011 02:33

Could someone confirm that trick given by Raznarukus works?
Just to UNconfirm..... it worked before I posted the thread and now its not working again....Im baffled!?!?!?! Sorry...but I swear it worked... :!:

Ramka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ramka » 01 Feb 2011 21:19

I have same problem.

Cursor don't hide in fullscren.
When i maximize utorrent and minimize it to system tray, cursor hide normal in player.

WinXP sp2
vlc 1.1.6
videocard nvidia ION
utorrent ver 3.0 alpha build 22557

vaderag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vaderag » 03 Feb 2011 23:34

I have this problem too.

To confirm, definitely linked to uTorrent. If i exit uTorrent, it works again... minimizing to tray doesn't work - i always have it like that...
Since i Always have uTorrent open, this is a bit of a problem!!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Feb 2011 01:09

I'll try to check with µTorrent, then. Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 06 Feb 2011 17:58

Here are 2 pics confirming that Utorrent "forces" the cursor to constantly appear in Vlc (and it's not only a "full screen" issue as the following tests have been done in windowed Vlc) :

In the 1st pic, you notice Utorrent is opened behind Vlc, then the mouse cursor (circled red) never hides itself in Vlc

In the 2nd pic, after having Utorrent minimized in the Taskbar, then the mouse cursor hides itself in Vlc after about 2 seconds.

That's strange because if you open, behind Vlc, another kind of windows (like Window Explorer, or Opera Brower, or Wordpad etc...) then the mouse cursor hides itself in Vlc, so it really seem a problem related to Utorrent and not to Vlc (?)

Also, in the 1st pic, Utorrent isn't connected to anything (not a single torrent is opened in it) : it's just launched and have another window (Vlc) before him.

I also note that the mouse cursor doesn't hide itself in Vlc if the Utorrent window is opened "side by side" near the Vlc Window, which means the Utorrent window doesn't need to be opened behind the Vlc window to create that issue : as soon as the Utorrent window is opened anywhere on the screen, even "far" from the Vlc window, then the cursor never hides itself in Vlc !

...And as soon as you minimize the Utorrent window, then the cursor hides itself in the Vlc window, no matter where the Utorrent window was opened on the screen (behind or far from the Vlc window)

Should Vlc staff contact Utorrent staff, trying to solve that issue together, because this strange behavior doesn't appear with another kind of opened windows ?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Feb 2011 23:34

Yes, I think you've cornered the issue. I'll try to fix in VLC and I'll mail µtorrent people.

Just remember to make me remember about it, since I am quite busy...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

derekread
New Cone
New Cone

Postby derekread » 07 Feb 2011 09:10

same exact symptoms here
vlc 1.1.5
windows 7 64-bit
no utorrent installed or running
I do have BitTorrent but running it / shutting it down does not affect this issue.

In my case following Raznarukus' suggestion fixed the issue. In my UI for preferences the "hide cursor" setting showed 1500ms as the default setting. Setting the value to anything else fixes the issue, however, the value does not function perfectly

For example, setting it to 100ms causes the controls window to disappear in about 100ms, but the mouse cursor always takes about 3000ms. Setting the value to a longer period of time has the same result (controls window disappears at about the right length but cursor still takes 3000ms). In addition, the controls window ALWAYS disappears (even before I changed the value it was disappearing at 3000), however, the mouse cursor does not always disappear. About 1 in 4 times I must remove the mouse at least slightly and then it will disappear (but again, after 3000ms).

Perhaps this is a windows timing issue when calling the API to set hide the cursor. It may be that the message to Windows is simply being ignored in some cases. As for the actual length of time I would tend to suspect that since this seems to be affecting Vista and Win7 users differently (?) that it is a change in the OS that has triggered this. I have yet to find any postings on MSDN regarding this but will keep looking.

doncorti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby doncorti » 07 Feb 2011 13:58

but what has utorent to do with the cursors? i have no problems closing it, but why do we need to close it so the cursor can hide itself?

anyway, i switched to another torent client, because when i open utorent, my internet dissapear, like im downloading all the internet..

Thorz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thorz » 17 Feb 2011 14:38

I will post this info again as there are a lot of user tests showing that uTorrent can be the culprit of this issue on their systems.

In my case the problem is not related to uTorrent at all. Having it closed or opened makes absolutely no difference. In my system it is Task Manager that produces the problem. It is very simple: You have TM opened and the cursor does not fade away, if you close it, the cursor fades away as normal. What does Task Manager have to do with the mouse cursor or how or why is affecting it under VLC is a mystery!

I am totally baffled!

System specs: (look for common trends here)
Windows 7-64bits English.
Intel Core2Duo E6850
Abit IP-35 PRO motherboard
NVIDIA 8800GT graphics.

kroks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kroks » 24 Feb 2011 02:48

same problem when utorrent (v2.2) is open... but when utorrent is minimized to tray the cursor can disappear again

bobalu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bobalu » 04 Mar 2011 11:03

I am running XP SP3 NVIDIA graphics

I have NO bittorent client of any sort on this box.

The only way I could eliminate the cursor in full screen mode was to drop to version

I walked the versions backwards until I found the newest one that did not have this problem.
Each time I uninstalled VLC and then deleted the VideoLAN dir from c/program files.
I also used CCleaner to remove registry info related to VLC prior to each new install...not sure
if this was required or not.

I tried all the suggestions related here in this thread..walking back to 1.0.0 was the only thing
that worked here. I am just ecstatic that I am not looking at that #$%ing cursor any more :-)

MaximilianKohler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MaximilianKohler » 13 Mar 2011 08:16

didn't work for me. mine has to do with utorrent. just have to minimize the ui.

qwerty10618
New Cone
New Cone

Postby qwerty10618 » 14 Mar 2011 12:09

i uncheck Always show tray icon in UI Settings in utorrent. just minimized utorrent if you wan to hide the cursor when vlc is playing otherwise it wont hide. hope this works for you guys since it works for me..

Henrryronald
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Henrryronald » 16 Mar 2011 08:33

Thank you for your post.It is useful to all visitors.

heat84
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby heat84 » 18 Mar 2011 05:40

Yup. Minimizing uTorrent works for me.

muldvang
New Cone
New Cone

Postby muldvang » 02 Apr 2011 21:35

Doesn't work for me.

Running Windows 7 and VLC 1.1.8.
Shutting down Winamp solves the problem for me.

Maybe you should all try closing other running programs?

taurusx5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby taurusx5 » 05 Apr 2011 03:54

I had this same problem. I am running Windows 7 x64. I am using VLC version 1.1.5. Sooooo what I did was change the millisecond multiplier to x3000ms, for some reason it was set at x1500ms. I think that was to short so it says in the highlight that 3000 is the default.
go to:
TOOLS>
PREFRENCES> (bottom right) click "show all"
Video (click on it)
now scroll down till you see "Hide cursor and fullscreen controller after x milliseconds.
change the box number to 3000 and VOILA!!
GL et Bon Chance!
hope this helps?
i tried this tweak and i can confrim that it DOES NOT work.

jnojr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jnojr » 06 Apr 2011 01:26

I can confirm that whilst win 7 task manager is active (minimised), the mouse pointer stays active in fullscreen VLC 1.1.4 . Using win7 32bit with nVidia 8400 card.
Shuttinng Task manager allows auto hide to function normally.
Confirm - VLC 1.1.8, EVGA 7600GT, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Funny thing, though... with XP, the cursor would hide just fine with Task Manager running minimized.

I hope they can fix this. I run Task Manager at startup habitually on every machine I touch... it's just so damn useful!

naballiss
New Cone
New Cone

Postby naballiss » 12 Apr 2011 05:52

didn't work for me. mine has to do with utorrent. just have to minimize the ui.
thx mine was the same prob with bitorent funny thing thou did not have this prob with xp ever since i got this new pc with win 7 i hate it in fact this is my fb status this morning lol

i found out something important i dont like windows 7 :P give me xp any day
3 hours ago · LikeUnlike ·

wow even funnier did not see the post above me saying the same thing about xp i guess great minds really do think a like

FredNurk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FredNurk » 21 Apr 2011 17:30

I've uninstalled version 1.1.7 and re-installed version 1.0.3.
Now the mouse cursor fades away with the other controls when in full screen mode.

The problem with bugs like this is, Videolan and VLC will never get over the bad press associated with this stupid, irritating bug.

It's quite sad really because most people think VLC is the bees knees - and so did I until I noticed this problem. It's also quite amazing that no one at VLC has commented on this or got to work trying to fix it. There's enough information here for even the most brain-dead software engineer to find out what is going wrong.

Edit:

I just remember what caused all this problem for me: Somehow I had managed to turn on "auto-repeat play" so every video was played at least twice. I couldn't find out how to turn it off so I uninstalled VLC (the latest version) and also deleted all personal settings - I used "Revo" uninstaller to do it. I don't believe the mouse fade problem existed at that time.

So completely removing VLC must have removed whatever setting - possibly in the registry - that was successfully fading out the mouse.

After I re-installed the latest version, the repeat play function had stopped, but the mouse would not fade out.

So that's when I started Googling the problem and tried installing older versions to get that mouse fade function working again.

Come on VLC, please get it sorted.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2011 17:48

VLC doesn't store its settings to registry (only file associations and browser plugin info are stored there). And it isn't settings problem, since there isn't anything you can change. It is most likely a bug in cursor change code
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... w/events.c

FredNurk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FredNurk » 22 Apr 2011 18:40

Thanks VLC_Help. But what I don't understand is that this problem only started for me when I completely uninstalled the latest version, 1.1.7., including personal settings. I'm pretty sure the cursor faded out correctly when I was using v1.1.7 before, but I uninstalled it because of a problem with repeat-playing of vidoes (I couldn't turn it off).

After I reinstalled 1.1.7, the repeat play function was back to normal, but the mouse would not fade out. So that's why I'm now back to v1.0.3 which does fade out the mouse.

But, aside from all that, have you any idea when a release will be issued with this problem fixed? Are people at Videolan actively working on this?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Apr 2011 14:51

But, aside from all that, have you any idea when a release will be issued with this problem fixed? Are people at Videolan actively working on this?
AFAIK nobody is working with this, since problem seems to related to additional programs, like uTorrent.

FredNurk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FredNurk » 25 Apr 2011 13:39

AFAIK nobody is working with this, since problem seems to related to additional programs, like uTorrent.
Hmm, well I find that quite incredible :shock: .

I don't use uTorrent, and all the programs I do use I have been using for a long time. I haven't started using any new programs recently, and yet the problem with the mouse fade out not occurring is real.

I think Videolan is making a mistake blaming it on "additional programs" especially if it is later proved to be a problem with VLC.

I shall continue to use VLC version 1.0.3 as that version is not suffering from the problem, so I presume it is somehow protecting itself from these "additional programs". :roll:

DeFirence
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DeFirence » 30 Apr 2011 14:11

Installed Windows 7 x64 SP1 build 7601 and the latest VLC (1.1.9) on my new PC. The mouse never hides, its extremely annoying.

I hope someone is able to fix this soon :(

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”