Multiple independent VLC installations and different config

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Zendal
New Cone
New Cone

Multiple independent VLC installations and different config

Postby Zendal » 05 Feb 2011 14:33

Hi, i want to run two diferent VLCs each one with his own config.

I've tried with two different installations but the config files are shared so i can't really make them independent. Is there any solution for this?

Thx :)

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Multiple independent VLC installations and different con

Postby solazy » 05 Feb 2011 18:05

Hi Zendal,
It would be great if we got an answer from Vlc staff.

Same as you, I never was able to install correctly 2 different VLC's (for example the latest 1.1.7 + the old 0.8.6i which is so light, opens quickly and is a great help when you play .avi files, especially if your PC is a bit old)

Though it is possible to install the 2nd VLC without modifying the file associations (by manually decompressing the 2nd VLC, as indicated in other posts), there will be a problem in configuration.

For example, I always add some brightness in the last 1.1.7 VLC version, then Save the Preferences.
But as soon as I open the old 0.8.6i and have to modify a preference in 0.8.6i, there will be a mess in the 1.1.7 preferences.

I was just thinking : does it exist portable VLC versions that don't affect the registry ?
If yes, maybe it should solve the problem, each VLC version having its own preferences in its own installation folder ?

Though I don't understand very well these "portable" versions of programs, found here and there : are they "official" versions or are they prepared by one guy to bypass some registering process (which shouldn't be the case with VLC as it's free)

So the question is : would portable versions of VLC solve that double installation issue ?
And if yes, where to find portable versions of VLC ?

Thanks to anyone who could help, concerning Zendal's question :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”