Cannot get past Font cache

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
AAKAlan
New Cone
New Cone

Cannot get past Font cache

Postby AAKAlan » 29 Jan 2011 23:21

I've been using VCL Media Player for years. Generally, I love it.
I produce video clips and DVDs every week, and it has been a Godsend.
Sadly, now I can't use it.

Whether I double-click a media file or open from the Media/File menu, I get into the "Font Cache" dialog that appears to go into some kind of infinite loop, hogging the HDD full-time and the media never starts. This has gone on for more than 10 minutes before I had to use Processes to kill it.

I recently moved to Windows 7/64 bit and VLC worked fine at first. Now it's unusable. Bad font? A font added by another program I installed (Adobe CS5 Suite)?

Is there any way of killing the font cacheing without getting into VLC? I have a catch-22 issue going on here.
Any help is appreciated.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Cannot get past Font cache

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jan 2011 13:10

You can change font renderer to dummy and it should work. So edit %appdata%\vlc\vlcrc with text editor and change #text-renderer= to text-renderer=dummy

AAKAlan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AAKAlan » 31 Jan 2011 09:33

Thank you, that solved my problem. Got me into the settings without stalling on startup, and the change worked like a charm.

Seems to me the font cache needs a little work. Just my feeling.

Thanks for the tip.

blank
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blank » 01 Feb 2011 03:23

still ridiculous that this problem hasnt been resolved. tons of people are having it. oh well.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”