VLC passing volume control to system

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
forsake
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC passing volume control to system

Postby forsake » 25 Jan 2011 20:44

Yes, there is no option to enable forwarding of key input in 1.1.6 .. very annoying indeed. At least before, I could just set the volume step to 0 in VLC and that way my powermate knob would handle system volume as desired. But now..

Pls, someone just reopen that bug or tell me if this forwarding feature will be in 1.2.0?

Don't want to patch and compile the source only for this..

chopstickkk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chopstickkk » 26 Jan 2011 13:38

Option to select the method wasn't added, but by default VLC doesn't forward those volume hotkeys anymore.
Suits me.
Actually - Doesn't suit me at all. I misunderstood.

I installed it and straight away downgraded back to 1.0.5. I have to agree with forsake - the keyboard Fn keys for system volume should only affect system volume and not VLC's gain.

All we need is a checkbox option in preferences to inhibit VLC's response to Fn volume keys.

Come on. It's just bad manners to implement a new 'feature' that cannot be reverted to backwards compatible settings.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jan 2011 04:24

This is done in 1.2.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Mr Wolf » 29 Jan 2011 18:44

Hi to all! I think I have a similar problem with latest version of VLC, 1.1.6. I have a laptop Toshiba P300 with XP Professional SP3, and a small wheel to adjust volume and, when I turn it, a small window appear showing the volume level; since I installed VLC 1.1.6, that litte window doesn't appear anymore while playing a video.
I had to come back to VLC 1.1.5

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jan 2011 13:00

VLC 1.1.7 will have the selection.

chopstickkk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chopstickkk » 02 Feb 2011 22:58

VLC 1.1.7 will have the selection.
Just tried 1.1.7. No it doesn't have the option.
*Sigh*
But I just read there that it was just a security update for 1.1.6

If I wasn't so used to VLC I'd vote with my feet and use something else. This is tiresome.

ExpHP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ExpHP » 02 Feb 2011 23:34

I think the new default behavior is still annoying; VLC is the only program I know that steals the volume keys when in focus by default.

But I have two things to point out to people:

1. When you update VLC, make sure you reboot before testing the hotkeys again. They will usually act strangely until you reboot; I guess hotkey registration is tricky in Windows.

2. About changing this setting. I don't see any option in Preferences to ignore the volume keys in 1.1.7. However, it does appear that you can manually edit %APPDATA%\vlc\vlcrc to change this option.*

Open the vlcrc file in a plain text editor like Notepad (this is where your options are stored). Find these two lines.

Code: Select all

# Ignore keyboard volume buttons. (boolean) #qt-disable-volume-keys=0
(note: I noticed that if you've been choosing to keep your Prefs and Cache when updating from earlier versions, these lines might not even be there. Add them right above the line that says "[puzzle] # Puzzle interactive game video filter", so that they are at the end of the [qt4] section)

And change them as so.

Code: Select all

# Ignore keyboard volume buttons. (boolean) qt-disable-volume-keys=1
Then restart VLC.

* %APPDATA% is C:\Users\(USERNAME)\AppData\Roaming or C:\Documents and Settings\(USERNAME)\Application Data, depending on your version of windows

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 03 Feb 2011 03:13

I think the new default behavior is still annoying; VLC is the only program I know that steals the volume keys when in focus by default.
Agree. I would also prefer VLC's default to be ignore the volume keys and pass them on to the system (though at least now it doesn't pass them on to both--thanks! )

Windows media player doesn't steal the volume keys by default, so I think that should be the default :)
Thanks!
-r

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 03 Feb 2011 18:46

2. About changing this setting. I don't see any option in Preferences to ignore the volume keys in 1.1.7. However, it does appear that you can manually edit %APPDATA%\vlc\vlcrc to change this option.*
Looks like it's a bit buried, but there is a way to change it from the GUI (and it works--thanks guys!):

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80652#p288339

ExpHP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ExpHP » 03 Feb 2011 22:57

Wow, that is really buried. But it's probably the best place to put it. The preferences (especially the advanced prefs) aren't really categorized by function. They seem to more or less be classified according to where they're used in the code, or what class/library they apply to. You could point to the category list in advanced prefs and say "this is a UML package diagram" and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. (hear that noise? That's the sound of a programming joke falling flat)

But I'm happy with this. Once this thread starts falling down the google rankings (replaced by pages telling to use this option), this behavior won't be any more of an inconvenience than things like "How do I get the title bar back in IE?" Search the internet, change an option, done.

niel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby niel » 06 Feb 2011 19:46

I was using VLC 1.1.5 and installed the new 1.1.7, and with the new version the problem just appeared (but not with 1.1.5 and previous versions). While the VLC player window is in front, and while pressing the volume up/down-buttons, the volume just remains at the same level. I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and a Conexant 20585 Smartaudio HD soundcard.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Feb 2011 00:04

Preferences->All->Interface->Qt
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

xuchibara
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xuchibara » 15 Feb 2011 17:20

I'm a bit confused due to these conflicting posts.

Can anyone clarify if this bug is still present in version 1.1.7?

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 16 Feb 2011 21:07

works fine for me 1.1.7

@niel: I'd try toggling the option and seeing if one of them works for ya:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80652#p288339

xuchibara
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xuchibara » 18 Feb 2011 19:02

I see - so now there is an obscurely buried checkbox to disable a crippling usability bug, which is enabled by default?

Hilarious, but it does seem to work. Thanks everyone!

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 21 Feb 2011 21:07

I agree the default should be disabled, but maybe it will be in later releases...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”