VOD time code?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
my2sense
New Cone
New Cone

VOD time code?

Postby my2sense » 28 Jan 2011 15:43

I tried searching but didn't find anything recent on this so apologies if this is a repeat.

I'm using VLC 1.1.6 as a VOD server to my phone and everything is working great except for the ability to timeshift (pause, resume, rewind, fast forward). I noticed that my phone is showing the video length as 00:00:00 and I believe that this is the reason why I can't timeshift.

I have tried various versions of VLC and noticed that v.1.0.5 shows the video length correctly and I am able to pause and resume. However, v1.0.5 doesn't seem transcode MKVs correctly (audio but no video) and therefore unusable to me. VLC versions greater than v.1.0.5 shows 00:00:00, including nightlies.

DId I miss an option in later versions of VLC or do later versions just don't send out the video length period? Anyone else having this issue or am I the only one?

On a side note, I noticed that in v.1.0.5, rewind and fast forward semi works as VLC pauses the video moves the video to the correct time but stays paused and does not automatically play. However, I'm not sure if this is due to my crappy dumb phone not sending the correct but I can fast forward and rewind fine with youtube videos.

I'm using the following command line:

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --ttl 12 -vvv --color -I http --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:5544
and VLM commands (from export function in http interface):

Code: Select all

new The_Last_Airbender vod enabled setup The_Last_Airbender input "C:\Movies\The Last Airbender (2010)\The.Last.Airbender.2010.mkv" setup The_Last_Airbender output #transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=230,fps=24,width=160,acodec=mp4a,ab=32,channels=1,samplerate=32000,threads=2}
Other than that, VLC is working great and I want to thank everyone connected with VLC for giving us such a great product!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”