Program freezes if video was playing full screen

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Program freezes if video was playing full screen

Postby TigerNightmare » 08 Jul 2010 17:36

I recently upgraded from version 1.0.1 I think to 1.1.0 and then overwrote with every branch zip file every day since the 4th. While the problem I had with heavy subtitles in a certain animated movie dropping tons of frames is gone (which is why I upgraded), VLC now freezes almost every time a video file ends while in full screen mode. It also happens if it's playing in full screen mode and I try to open another file. The format, size or aspect ratio of the file doesn't seem to matter.

Another problem is Goom. It ran just fine in 1.0.1, except for it having to be turned off while watching a video file, which is something I'm sure a bunch of people have already asked to fix. I tried to set the resolution of Goom to 1280 x 720 just so I don't get pillarboxing on fullscreen and the player still fits in windowed mode. But most of the time, VLC quits as soon as it tries to load Goom, with the first second or so of the audio file being played before that happens. I tried changing the resolution back to 800 x 600, I've tried resetting my preferences, but it almost always still happens. If Goom actually manages to get going, the full screen freeze mentioned above is very likely to happen.

With the full screen problem, I have to kill the application and a standard Windows error report prompt appears. With the Goom problem, after VLC quits and I start it again, I get a yes/no problem reporting prompt. Is reporting this info useful every time, or at all helpful, or should I just do it once per version? Appreciate any help, thanks.

My specs:
XP MCE 2005 with SP3 installed
2 GB RAM
Two Radeon 4850s with 512 MB each running their own screen
Catalyst v10.3
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card
VLC runs on monitor 2 at 1920 x 1080 @ 30 hz
My specs:
Windows7 Professional 64bit SP1
Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20 GHz(6 cores)
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Program freezes if video was playing full screen

Postby VLC_help » 09 Jul 2010 16:13

Does the fullscreen problem vanish if you change video output module?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.1 ... _output.3F

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 09 Jul 2010 20:32

I changed it from Default to Windows GDI and the full screen problem went away. I tried all of the other settings but none of them fixed the Goom problem. Thanks for the first thing, though.

EDIT: Whoops! No, that doesn't fix it. While switching to another file during playback doesn't cause a freeze, letting a video play to the end still does. Some other problems I discovered:
Both Direct3D modes (there are two but have the same name, probably because I have two cards) have heavy processor use, too much for any kind of multitasking.
The full screen controller in OpenGL mode is hard to see because it's constantly flickering and distorted.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 01 Aug 2010 04:10

I have the latest Catalyst 10.7 driver now and I downloaded 1.1.2 but I still have this problem. I tried using 1.1.0 and I still had the problem, 1.0.6 didn't have a win32 directory in the archive, so I downloaded 1.0.5 and the problem went away. Now the player steals focus whenever it stops playing or changes files and I can't disable that, but it's much less annoying than my original problem. If someone could tell me if the player freeze problem is found and fixed when a future release is out, I'd appreciate it. I'll be watching this space.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 02 Aug 2010 15:05

I have the exact same problem.
It also started since the 1.1.x version.

The information I got from the windows error reporting service is
szAppName : vlc.exe szAppVer : 1.1.0.0 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000
the detailed information is
C:\DOCUME~1\preske\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER078e.dir00\vlc.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\preske\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER078e.dir00\appcompat.txt
I managed to get this from VLC itself.

I've tested it a couple of times and it pretty much always craps out on the "closing audio device"

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 03 Aug 2010 01:23

I'm glad it's not just me and something I did. What sound card are you using, preske, if any? I'm using a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (what an annoying name) in a PCIe slot.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 04 Aug 2010 18:16

I hear ya! :)

I'm using my onboard card.
Don't know which chipset it is.
the mobo is p5b I believe.
I have switched back to the 1.0.5 because it was driving me NUTS.

XP SP3 with all the patches
2gb ram
asus p5b
e6600 stock
radeon HD5850

Aafemt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aafemt » 09 Aug 2010 13:03

Try to turn off hardware YUV->RGB conversions. It seems help.

EDIT: No, it doesn't.

PS: This problem appeared somewhere between version 1.1.0-rc and 1.1.0-release.
Last edited by Aafemt on 11 Aug 2010 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Aafemt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aafemt » 11 Aug 2010 14:43

This workaround really works for me: switch to "Fullscreen Interface F11" mode before going to "real" fullscreen.

muhd220
New Cone
New Cone

Postby muhd220 » 18 Aug 2010 11:09

I also have this problem with most recent version of VLC. think it was in 1.1.0 as well from what I hear.

The workaround suggested in the above post works to nullify the problem, however it is an annoying solution.

Devs! Fix this please!

Edit:
Oh I guess I should say my hardware:

I have Dell e1705 with Intel core 2 duo and ATI radeon mobility x1400.

bule
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bule » 18 Aug 2010 15:47

Problem still exists in release 1.1.2 :cry:

If video is stopped (not paused) or finishes in full screen the program freezes.

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 20 Aug 2010 23:22

Somehow, I managed to "fix" it for 1.1.2. Don't ask me how, it just worked.

However, the problem STILL exists in 1.1.3 so basicly I traded a perfectly working videoplayer for a non-working one...
It still stops at the same error.

edit: I found the "fix" i mentioned earlier.

De-install your 1.1.X and install the 1.0.5.
then, run the 1.1.x installer, which will remove your 1.0.5 version and replace it with the new one.
Don't know it it matters, but I checked the "clear buffers and preferences" (or whatever it's called in english).
Let the installer continue as usual and it "should" be fixed.

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 22 Aug 2010 23:59

bump.

I really would like to see this problem solved or at least acknowledged

Cainin Wolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cainin Wolf » 23 Aug 2010 17:34

I too have experienced the same annoying problem with the windows 1.1.3 version, and might I say, it is only one of an increasing number of bugs that seems to be slipping through the developer's fingers lately. I remember when I first started to use VLC years ago, it played everything under the sun and ran smoothly on both windows and Linux. The only solution I could come up with was to revert to an earlier version. To the developers I say, you had a darn good product once upon a time, it wasn't broke, why did ya have to fix it? The kind of bugs with the play list and the freezing/crashing that you've let slip on the past few versions has cost VLC some of the respect it has earned from me. Releasing software full of major bugs and fixing it later is the Microsoft way of doing business. Stick with the Linux method, better beta testing, attention to detail, release when you have a finished product. I would rather wait a couple of months extra for a new quality version then get a quicker, far from perfect, 'we'll fix it later' version. Sorry to be so harsh in my comments but I simply hate to see a good quality product fall from grace. I implore you not to let it happen here!

Regards, C.W.

My specs:
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / OpenSUSE 11.3 x86_64
Motherboard: Intel DX48BT2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8GHz
HDD: WDC WD5000AAKS 500Gb
Memory: 4Gb
Graphics: ATI FirePro V3750

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 24 Aug 2010 04:57

I don't know how your solution would work, preske. If you use the installer, it just uninstalls your existing version for you and it deletes everything if you have it remove your preferences and such. Something I wouldn't like to do because I don't want to fix everything all over again. Plus, if you use the installer, it changes all your icons to that damned orange pylon. Maybe you think you got it fixed because it didn't happen for some files you tested, but I thought so too as I wrote (and later edited) the second post here. I think it's a little better in 1.1.3, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem to happen every time a video ends, but it still happens maybe half the time.

And Cainin, I don't know if you could even call VLC a product, as it's free to the public open source software, presumably updated and maintained by programmers with their free time. Cut them a little slack, it can't be easy to do this stuff.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

Renshia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Renshia » 24 Aug 2010 23:43

I have recently upgraded from a version of vlc I have had for about three years. It was a great program. Never any problems.
This new version is freezing up on the same way others have described.
I sure wish I had not upgraded.
v1.1.3
win xp sp3
At the end of the video, when playing in full screen the player freezes and doesn't respond. It will close when pressing the X close button, If you try to start another video it doesn't respond. It has to be closed before it will play again.

WLVRN
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WLVRN » 30 Aug 2010 06:21

i'm having same goom prob aa, ie, vlc has worked PERFECTLY on every computer i've installed it on (lotz) since 8. series fixes, even up until then was only ever goom craashing/freezing player or viz screen or dodgy playlist glitches, then along comes 1.1.2, eg, "open folder" crashed player every time, so..... upgraded to 1.1.3, "open folder" no longer crashed player, just froze prog & goom crash re-appeared, so.... uninstalled & reverted to fully functional (previously) 1.0.5, probz still there even after deleting cache/prefs etc., HUH??? so..... downloaded & installed (&reset prefs AGAIN) 1.1.4, YAY!!! all perfect again.....except goom tho not crashing vlc now freezes viz screen (regardless of rez or framerate) not THAT annoyed, vlc is still the best damn player with extras i've EVER used, but one thing i realized, i'm very rarely online, so i had only just installed xp home sp3 a few Moonz ago (no probs apparent then) so this time, ie., along with downloading 1.1.2 i dl'd & installed the latest security hotfixes etc. is when probz with vlc started, not just windows sabotaging non"windows approved" (ie, BOUGHT from their mates' ")apps perchance ???, glad is friend's computer,personally i'll stick with linux, ps, Much Respect for Amazing Work & Attitude, 8:)

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 04 Sep 2010 23:28

Still present in 1.1.4

mfreeze
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mfreeze » 24 Oct 2010 23:57

I got the same problem
Specs
vlc 1.1.4
winXP sp3
Nvidia graphics

Sound a bit like this bug:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3513
But the status is fixed or am I missing something?
:-|

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 02 Dec 2010 09:25

Still not fixed in 1.1.5. I feel like this is something that won't be solved until a 1.5 or even a 2.0 release.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Dec 2010 16:53

Does the freeze happen if you play video only files? (so no audio track in file)

preske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby preske » 03 Dec 2010 22:00

I noticed something. I opened a file , skipped right to the end, and it closed fine. Thinking it was solved, I rewatched the whole file, (it was closes to 22 mins) and it froze again on the end.

I don't have any video-only movies on my pc, so I can't test it, but something tells me that it will close down fine if it's too short. So i'm guessing we need to rip out the audio from a large file, let it play fullscreen for the entire duration.

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 05 Dec 2010 11:16

Yes, only video files are affected. If I double click the picture to get out of full screen mode just before a file ends, the freeze does not occur. If I have a video playing in full screen and I try to start another file in Windows Explorer, the problem happens again. If I have Goom activated for audio files, VLC will often quit when I try to play a song and if I can get it working, switching to another song or video will produce the same problem.

EDIT: I just recently noticed that I misunderstood the question and tested a couple of videes with no audio in them. I don't have a lot of videos with no audio in them and can't say that I've done thorough testing, but the ones I tried didn't cause a crash.
My specs:
16 GB DDR3
4 GB EVGA GTX 770

TigerNightmare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TigerNightmare » 11 Jan 2011 04:49

Since I downloaded the 12/31 trunk or branch of 1.2, this problem seems to have vanished completely. Even goom's working well. It might just be a fluke, but I'm really enjoying the reliability. Sometimes when I try to play a file, I'm getting the error message prompt that says the player has crashed, even though I previously closed VLC normally without issue, but this is much less annoying.

EDIT: Bit premature on Goom, as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Video files still seem to be okay, though.

PetterJanssen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PetterJanssen » 12 Jan 2011 16:29

I've found out that the player only freezes when several requirements must be fulfilled before this bug happens:
1) the player must play video
2) it must play full screen
3) must NOT have focus whenever the video ends

So when that happens, the player freezes and needs a forced close. In other cases (i.e.: when it remained focussed throughout the viewing of the video) VLC ends the video fine and restores itself to a windowed state.

At least, that's what I think at the moment.

Can anyone check this?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”