Cutting on key frames ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Cutting on key frames ?

Postby solazy » 07 Jan 2011 05:00

Using VLC, when I record (export) a part of an avi file with the red button, the exported file never starts at the position I wanted to :(
This comes (probably) from the fact that Vlc starts the recording after it found the NEXT key frame.

Here is an example : imagine an avi file having key frames placed every 10 seconds (i.e you'll find a key frame at the beginning of the file, then next key frame at 10th seconds, next one at 20th seconds etc...)
Now if I start the recording at the 12th second, I won't export seconds from 12 to 19, as the exported file will start at the 20th second (the next key frame) , so 8th seconds won't be recorded (12-19)

My question : is it possible to forward jump from key frame to key frame ?
(in the same way as the hotkey "e" goes to the next frame, which by the way is a duplicate with the "Frame by Frame" advanced controls button)

This "jump to next key frame" functionality exists in some other programs (avi splitter from example) but I don't know if it exists in Vlc
This could help in the way that we could start the recording phase being placed on a key frame, knowing exactly what will be recorded, without loss of several seconds.
Thanks in advance

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Cutting on key frames ?

Postby VLC_help » 07 Jan 2011 20:22

VLC cannot do that. If you need accurate cutting you might use video editor like AVIdemux.

solazy
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Cutting on key frames ?

Postby solazy » 07 Jan 2011 21:04

Thx for your answer VLC_help
Btw you're very helpful in this forum, replying clearly to so many posts, I just wanted to point it out.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”